Couple of questions (pics)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Couple of questions (pics)

Post by papabug71 »

Well, I have decided to keep my little 302. I plan on having it rebuilt in the near future, hopefully this spring. Its got real nasty over the years & its started slinging oil like crazy lately. I know it needs new seals & gaskets & such. My great uncle (grandpaw's brother) has really been after me for years to keep the truck mostly original & I have no problem with that. But I would like to spice things up a bit. I have a couple of old air cleaners in the shop, plus the 2 I just got off of 1971ford, plus the one thats one the truck. What im thinking is find two snorkels that are the same & make a dual snorkel air cleaner! Could you imagine the looks on peoples faces when you popped the hood? If you did it right & made it look factory, people would be scratchin' their heads, wondering if it was stock equipment or not. A bone stock 302 painted up to look original, detailed out & BAMF!! A dual snorkel air cleaner!!??

So my question is, do you guys think it would hurt anything to just put a oil cap in place of the breather on the drivers side valve cover? Do you think it would spit oil? It has a breather on the pass. side valve cover as well, so its not like it wont be vented. The factory hose is too tall & would be in the way of the new snorkel. I have a old oil cap that fits it just right.

Also What is this bracket used for?? Its been on the truck since we got it & its never been used?? Im sure its a return spring bracket of some type, but why? It has the spring run to the factory bracket on the manifold.

Thanks guys.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Couple of questions (pics)

Post by fordman »

you can take and move that hose to the rear cover if you want. thats the way the older engines were. you need to keep you pcv valve operational. thats what that hose is for. the bracket ont he firewall is a carb linkage bracket for the trapeze linkage. since you no longer have the linkage you could get rid of it if you wanted to.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

WoW! I have no idea how this happened.

Double topic, sorry guys.

Moderators please feel free to close/ remove one of my double posted topics!!
Matt W.
Matt
Mine since 5/7/'94
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

fordman, your up late.

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. Or I could even put in a 90* & run the hose around the backside of the motor vs. the front like it is now. Yeah, I know guys that have had bad luck with not running a PCV. Just needed a 2nd opinoin.

I guess im not familiar with the trapeze linkage. It must have been gone long before I got the truck.
Matt
Mine since 5/7/'94
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yea the later motors had the pcv up front to help with oil sucking issues becuase of how the enigne set in there slightly tilted backwards. the oil could get sucked up by the pcv and into the combustion chamber easier that way. so they moved it up front o stop that issue.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

The bracket is from the origonal trapeze carb lincage. A support rod attached to it.

About putting a cap where your PCV is, I wouldn't. If you are blowing oil out of the breather, I would think you have a piston ring clearence problem causing blow by. That is when part of the compression in the cylinder leaks past the rings and pressurizes the inside of the engine.

Try putting a new PCV on. And cleaning the hose out that it is connected to. If that does not do it, take the carb off and clean the passage out under the carb spacer plate on the manifiod. If that doesn't stop the oil, I would think it is a ring problem. Do a compression test. That will tell you if the rings are not sealing well. A vacuum gauge will also tell you allot.

I had the same problem when I got mine. It turned out being a broken compression ring. Maybe someone else has more things to look at, or try. :) my :2cents:
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

That bracket is part of the old trapeze throttle system.

As for no breather cap ouch The PVC will suck air from anyplace it can get a leak and that will cause a gasket to break seal. In the old days we had breathers and no PVC we just dumped it to the air on a hose that ran down the side of the engine or a metal tube.

Go here http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 32#p353898 Re: Torque Converter Whine & Vaccum Leak Sound

It has an explanation of what will happen without a breather.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of where I can get a twist-on pcv breather for the valve cover in chrome?
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

390F100 wrote:Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of where I can get a twist-on pcv breather for the valve cover in chrome?

Have you tryed the parts stores? I was at autozone yesterday & noticed they had a selection of them.

What about the push-in filter type like so:

Or does it need actual vaccum to pull the gasses out of the motor. I would think as long as its vented, it should be ok.

I found a replacement PCV valve with a 90* made onto it. I think it will work fine.
Matt
Mine since 5/7/'94
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

390F100 wrote:Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of where I can get a twist-on pcv breather for the valve cover in chrome?
Auto zone does have them in chrome and other colors. Keep your elbow if it has one, they do not come with that. :2cents:
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I have alum. valve covers and I used PVC on left side at rear and made a baffle to fit inside under the PVC to keep it from sucking oil,looks about like the baffle in the stock steel valve cover. Put a breather on the right side to vent and add oil, been that way for years and no problems
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

Make sure whatever you use is vented. I didn't one timeand blew 4 quarts of oil due to excess crankcase pressure. Dipstick shot out and oil followed.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100