Intake and carb

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Intake and carb

Post by R.Smith »

I'm looking to put an aluminum intake and 4bbl on my 390 and would like to know where to find the best deal. I'm not looking to make a hot rod and a friend who knows more about these things than I do has suggested an Edlebrock 600cfm carb with an Edlebrock daul plane intake.

But he's a die hard chevy guy and I don't rally trust him!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Intake and carb

Post by fitzwell »

Edelbrock & a holley 01850
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Used Streetmaster 390 off the Internet. 600 Holley you don't need a bigger carb unless you change the cam. The secondaries on my 750 do not open all the way on a car 390. So the extra money was a waste.

A 390 with a Streetmaster 390 with peak hp at 4800 rpm comes to. 390/2=195 195* 4800rpm/1728 = 541 cfm before VE correction. A Streetmaster or a more expensive but less power producing Dual Plane will give you a VE of 85% 541 * .85 equals 460 cfm. If you have to tune the Edelbrock carb it has a steep, real steep tuning learning curve. Go with a 600 Holley check this bad boy out http://www.holley.com/0-80457S.asp
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

I agree with Dragon 100%, and you can add the Holley Street Dominator too, almost a twin to the Streetmaster.

I ran mine with a 600 Holley for years and its a great combo for a truck.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by R.Smith »

I've ben told that the Edelbrock carb is better for a daily driver because the Holly needs constant tweeking. True? or just bad advice?
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Some people like Holleys, some Edelbrocks. I have had Holleys run a long time without tweeking. My 350 2 bbl does idle erratically on today's crappy gas.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

If I had a 390 and money wasn't a concern, I'd watch for some of those combo deals where you buy this and that and get a free air cleaner or whatever. I've had Holley and Edelbrock both (intakes and carbs) and they're both fine. If you did select too large on your vacuum secondary carb, it'll only use what it requires anyhow. If $ were any issue, I'd search out a used local intake and not pay more than $50 and buy a new carb to go with it, just make sure which type carb your intake cast for (square or spreadbore) or you'll get into adapters and such. Most folks would say buy a used carb and rebuild it, but I've never had any luck rebuilding carbs or having local experts rebuild them (over and over). I have had luck with reman carbs you buy through chain auto stores (some are reman by Holley), but even those are kinda hit and miss. I insist on new carbs, but I admit maybe I've been unlucky on the used carb deal. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used intake if I saw no cracks or anything odd.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by R.Smith »

It was suggested that I go with the daul plane intake for better low end torque?

Maybe it would help if I explained what I'm trying to do. The truck is a Camper Special. I'll be using it as a daily driver (so gas gulping is an issue) and occasionally pulling a big smoker. It has plenty of power for that now but, I've got a bad lifter and since I'm going to have to pull the intake, I might as well replace it with something sporty...and since I'm replacing the intake, I might as well put a 4 bbl on it. (Following the "might as well" process, I'll eventually end up with a jet engine in it)

I went over to the Summit Racing site and found an Edelbrock performer intake and Edelbrock 600cfm carb for $550.00...not including gaskets and such. The price for the intake is $285.00....about the same as they're going for on ebay.

Now I'll go back and look at Holley stuff.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

R smith,

I like the jet engine idea. No tailgaters :lol: :lol: :D
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

i don't tweak my Street Holleys the last time I checked the floats was 5 months ago when I switched fuel grade.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Dual plane will be much better for the street. snappier, better throttle response. I wouldn't use a street avenger on anything, but the 01850 600 cfm is as about as basic as they get, and tunable for damn near any application. If you can find an older one, i'd do that before i bought an 01850-4
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

There is a link on this site that shows the Streetmaster single plane out performed at low and mid range any dual plane/
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

As a rule, a dual plane is better for the street

However the Street Dominator and Streetmaser are different, they are small plenum, small runner intakes that are designed for low end.

They work as good as anything else down low and are actually better than a dual plane as RPM rises.

I have had a 428PI alum intake, an Edelbrock Performer, an iron intake, and the Street Dominator. The two that ran the best were the PI and the Street Dominator, and there was no noticeable difference between them.

Just to put you at ease, whoever told you single plan is for top end, isnt wrong, just not correct for THIS manifold in THIS application.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

What is the benefit of a non-adjustable needle and seat,why would that be better? Ialways liked the feature of being abel to adjust the fuel level easily. By the way I posted a while back about my holley carb leaking fuel out of the secondary idle ports . It was plugged air bleeds ,works great now.Thanks guys for all your suggestions and patience :D :fr:
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

No benefit it reduces the carb cost and in a few years will raise the maintenance cost over a regular Holley.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test