Help, found weird peice in C6 pan

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

calvinstoy

Help, found weird peice in C6 pan

Post by calvinstoy »

I found the following item in the pan of a C6 transmission when I went to install a shift kit. I have no idea where it goes or if it should even be in there. It looks like there is wear in the end as if it had been rolling around in there for a long time. If anyone knows what it is or if I should or should not worry about it please let me know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/ ... ystery.jpg

:hmm:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Help, found weird peice in C6 pan

Post by FORDification »

It means that this is the first time this transmission has ever had the pan removed. Read the following thread:

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1562
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

That looks like a plug put in the dipstick tube to keep crud out while the vehicle was on the assembly line. The worker would install the dipstick and knock the plug into the pan.
It's nothing to worry about, except it means your tranny filter has NEVER been replaced! :eek:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
calvinstoy

Post by calvinstoy »

Wow fast response You are the man Keith.

Thanks

:clap: :clap:
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

ok what is a shift kit and in a c6 auto tranny what does it do? Thought they were only for manual trannys?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
moore89

Post by moore89 »

They can create a faster firmer shift which improves performance and can in some cases decrease the ware in some parts inside the tranny. I have a semi-manual valve body kit (can drive like a manual or an auto) in mine so if I leave it in drive without manually shifting with the petal depressed it'll get sideways going into second gear
67 f100 2wd LWB (go fast truck). 460/C6 lots of lope and gobs of torque (under construction again) 13.06 in the 1/4mi (with the old less built motor).
2 Thunderbird Supercoupes (a 1990 35th anny., and a 1991 modded pushing 15 lbs of boost)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5spd
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

An automatic transmission was designed for Grandpa and Grandma. Since they like simple and smooth, they were designed to slip during the shifting to make the shift as smooth as possible. However, slippage causes heat, and heat is the biggest enemy of an automatic transmission. A shift kit basically firms up the shifts, minimizing the slippage and reducing wear. That means you'll get tire-chirping neck-snapping shifts, and less heat of course.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Hmm Previous owner must of installed one cuase this thing will snap your neck if you let it :lol: :D
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com