302 engines old versus new

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

302 engines old versus new

Post by dantheman71 »

I have a 1972 with a 302 that I would like to turn into a 347 stroker. From what I read the newer blocks are more popular due to the fact that they have a one piece rear main. My question is if I buy the newer block will everything else match up perfectly? For example, can I just install my old timing cover and still use a mechanical fuel pump. Also, will there be any differences with the dipstick location?

As long as everything is a direct swap I think I am better off finding a newer block rather than spending $$ machining my old one.

Thanks for your help!!
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 302 engines old versus new

Post by fordman »

the dist depth is different from the old ones to the new ones. i dont know when that was changed but it was. so you ill have to use the newer dist with the controls for it or get the correct length dist to use points
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Yes to all but the new one use a roller cam and that means the bearings too. The later block has it's dipstick coming up in the same place.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Perfect, that is what I thought, and what I was hoping!! I need to replace my distributor anyway so I can do it all in one shot.

Thanks for the replies!!
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Don't forget the balance changed about the same time the seal did.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

oops yep. The Roller 302 could spin easier so they lighten the flywheel and the balancer so they did spin up faster.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

isnt there something about the auto flywheels being different toothed also? the newer flexplates use a 164 tooth and the older ones use something near a 157 tooth.
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

You guys scare the crap out of me....there is more to it than that.

First off, they didn't change the ballance with roller cams. The ballance change happened years before roller cams.

"Yes to all but the new one use a roller cam and that means the bearings too" Huh? Roller cams don't have anything to do with bearings.

Dantheman,

If you want a stroker, just put one in. They are available in either ballance. If you want to know about 67-72 ford trucks then look to fordification. If you want to know about the different 302s, go to sbftech. Also, there are some great vendors at sbftech that can get you a great deal on strokers with quality parts.

Austin
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

dablack00 wrote:"Yes to all but the new one use a roller cam and that means the bearings too" Huh? Roller cams don't have anything to do with bearings.
Austin
The cam bearing on the 91 302 sitting in my friends back yard are roller not sleeve. Stock from Ford.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

I took a stock front cover off an older 302 and poked it on a 90 rollercam 5.0 and installed the factory fuel pump concentric from older engine and run stock mech fuel pump and Edelbrock carb/intake on 90 Lincoln engine. I think I recall installing some large bolts in back of heads to remove some kinda factory cross PVC deal or something and I replaced the stock valve covers with aftermarket. You have to make sure the distributor you get is one with a hardened gear for the rollercam setup. I "think" I bought a 86 Mustang GT 5.0 distributor and used a stock duraspark setup, runs great. Kept the stock Lincoln exhaust manifolds and ran duals.
I do have to say, if i had it all to do over, I'd never have ignored the factory injection, I would have sorted things out and ran fuel injection and return line to gas tank, etc. I didn't want to get into what I considered complicated, but wish I have of. I think I would have gotten better cold starts and driveability and mileage. But, I was being pigheaded and wouldn't listen, despite being warned I should figure it out.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

With a 45 psi regulator and different injectors you would have had a different 302 too. The truck engine 302 has small injectors and you can go up to 60s with a matching regulator and injectors.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

[/quote] The cam bearing on the 91 302 sitting in my friends back yard are roller not sleeve. Stock from Ford.[/quote]

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Ford didn't put roller cam bearings in the stock 5.0L. Didn't happen. There is extra maching to put them in. All sorts of stuff you have to do. The stock cam won't even work. You are either confused as to what cam bearings are, or that isn't a stock from ford block. I'm NOT calling you a liar. I'm saying that that block has been modified or it is an aftermarket block.
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Banjo wrote:I took a stock front cover off an older 302 and poked it on a 90 rollercam 5.0 and installed the factory fuel pump concentric from older engine and run stock mech fuel pump and Edelbrock carb/intake on 90 Lincoln engine. I think I recall installing some large bolts in back of heads to remove some kinda factory cross PVC deal or something and I replaced the stock valve covers with aftermarket. You have to make sure the distributor you get is one with a hardened gear for the rollercam setup. I "think" I bought a 86 Mustang GT 5.0 distributor and used a stock duraspark setup, runs great. Kept the stock Lincoln exhaust manifolds and ran duals.
I do have to say, if i had it all to do over, I'd never have ignored the factory injection, I would have sorted things out and ran fuel injection and return line to gas tank, etc. I didn't want to get into what I considered complicated, but wish I have of. I think I would have gotten better cold starts and driveability and mileage. But, I was being pigheaded and wouldn't listen, despite being warned I should figure it out.
You came real close on your distributor memory. It is 85 not 86. The 85 HO 302 was the ONLY 302 that came with a roller cam and a duraspark dizzy. So you can pick up a hardened gear and put it on any distributor or you can run a 85 mustang dizzy (this is mustang only...if you get a 85 truck 302 dizzy, you are out of luck).

Also, I know everyone loves the EFI but down here in SE TX it just isn't worth it. We don't have cold start issues and it would take a life time in gas savings to make up the cost of everything involved. Yes, you can do it on a budget with stock junkyard parts, but chances are half of the sensors are worn out and you will be replacing stuff all the time. No thanks. I think you did it the right way. Yank off the EFI and slap a simple carb on there. That is what I had in my cougar. It was a 1985 roller cam 302 with a edelbrock rpm intake, holley 650, and headers. It was lots of fun.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i was going to say wait a minute but you covered it. the 302 ho does have a roller cam setup. so i agree with that.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Dragon wrote:oops yep. The Roller 302 could spin easier so they lighten the flywheel and the balancer so they did spin up faster.
I thought the later ones used a heavier balance, same as the 351.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.