engine orientation

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

FordHam

engine orientation

Post by FordHam »

Anyone have info on why the engine (302) is off center in the engine compartment. I wonder because I wanted to use a shaker hood on a resto that I am doing. Out of the question with the current engine placement. Anyone know of a easy solution to centering the engine?
69 SWB, 71 LWB with 351C, 72 LWB with rust

No man has ever laid on his deathbed and said, "I wish I had worked more."
MadMaxetc
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: engine orientation

Post by MadMaxetc »

FordHam wrote:Anyone have info on why the engine (302) is off center in the engine compartment. I wonder because I wanted to use a shaker hood on a resto that I am doing. Out of the question with the current engine placement. Anyone know of a easy solution to centering the engine?
You don't want it centered. your exaust will never clear your steering box.

It is also that way to off set the drivers weight a little.

You could just move the carb hole of the shaker over a fer inches.
Dan

Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4 / Work In Progress!
Daily Driver: '67 F-250 Converted to F-100 LWB / 300 / T-5 / 9" 3.70:1 / 235/75R15 Tires
1/4 mile in 17.64s @ 75mph (it's 4200lbs!!!)
"Work Harder! Millions On Welfare Depend On YOU!!"

FORD Girl

Photobucket Pictures
FordHam

Post by FordHam »

Thought about that, but how would it look with the hood up I wonder. Intuitively it seems like the shaker would look odd sitting off center. Ever seen one?
69 SWB, 71 LWB with 351C, 72 LWB with rust

No man has ever laid on his deathbed and said, "I wish I had worked more."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

ALL bumpside engines are offset to the passenger side, not just the 302...and centering it is out of the question. It won't clear the steering box or the left-side exhaust otherwise. .

As for the shaker, even if the engine WAS centered, there's no way in heck you'd get it to stretch the 8"-10" up to the hood. I should know....I had the same idea. I ended up removing the top portion of the shaker assembly, cutting a hole in the hood down to the hood brace, and then mounting the top piece on the hood brace, so it sticks up through the hood. Looks just like a standard Shaker setup. Take a look at the following link.

http://www.fordification.com/my67-p16.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wasn't the reason they were offset was to do with the rear end lining up properly or something. its been awhile since the was talked about . even if it was a short conversation.
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

Unless I'm mistaken, and its totoaly possible. I believe it has to do with the drive shaft alinement so that the angle will make the bearings not get groved as bad. :2cents: of info I hope I know.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well,
fordman wrote:wasn't the reason they were offset was to do with the rear end lining up properly or something. its been awhile since the was talked about . even if it was a short conversation.
Yep. Even though the pumpkin is centered in the differential housing, the input on that pumpkin isn't, it's offset to the passenger side. So not only would centering the engine/transmission create clearance problems for the steering box and exhaust on the left side, it would also create an additional angle for the driveshaft, which will cause U-joint binding and bad vibrations.

Seems like a lot of problems to attempt to overcome, just to use a scoop that won't reach the hood anyway. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

All Ford truck drivetrains are offset.

I've done quite a few repowers and custom engine/tranny installs into Fords. There is very good reason why the drivetrain is offset. It makes much more sense than having it centered in the grand scheme of things.

A friend of mine centered the engine and tranny when he installed a Cummins six in his 86 F-350 4x4. To say the least it created tons of problems. His only goal was extra downpipe room, but it made a custom front crossmember necessary, major firewall mods and clearance issues with everything. The transfer case shifter sits in the floor pan footwell now instead of the tranny tunnel because there was no room for it.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I wonder if the Australian/British trucks have their engines offset to the left.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

I'm glad they're not centered, other wise I would have had to take the grille out of my truck when I installed my new cam. :wink: :thup: :lol:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Wow it has been so long since I changed a cam while it is in the truck that I forgot how close that brace was.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

I was noticing today while looking at the bottom of my cab how off centered the trans is due to the offset from center the engine is. Seeing this thread actually make me stop and think about it. This pic give me a pretty good prespective. And now I know it wasn't just my imagination having more leg room on the drivers side.

Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Cool pic seeing the cab from the bottom like that! To the best I can remember, I think when I measured my truck, the engine was about 3 inches to the passenger's side from the actual centerline. I had to customize my driveshaft safety loop to compensate when I installed it. Other than doing custom stuff like that or functional shaker scoops, the offset doesn't really cause problems. :lol:
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

this is a off the subject but when i saw that pic i thought it looked really wierd too. those holes are huge.. it shows you just how much the cabs are really held together. especially after i cut a rusty cab up today.
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

fordman wrote:this is a off the subject but when i saw that pic i thought it looked really wierd too. those holes are huge.. it shows you just how much the cabs are really held together. especially after i cut a rusty cab up today.
Heck, when I see pictures like that I thank the lord that I live in the desert! Around here that would be too bad to even use as a parts truck! LOL Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1