engine color combination

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

engine color combination

Poll ended at Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 am

Black W/ aluminum intake & finned aluminum valve covers (depressions painted engine color)
78%
Grey w/ aluminum intake, stock style painted steel valve covers
17%
Orange w/ aluminum intake, finned aluminum valve covers (depressions painted engine color)
6%
NOte Orange matches the body..NOT chevy orange :)
No votes

Total votes: 18

fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

engine color combination

Post by fitzwell »

68 shortbed, body will be vanilla shake over hugger orange. Firewall will match the body colors/breaks. Rest of the engine compartment will be semi-flat black. No braided hoses, nothing real fancy, just clean & functional.

opinions, options, poison arrows, all gleefully accepted :D
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: engine color combination

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Fitzwell,

Here's a couple shots on my engine...
I did the block black, aluminum intake with Ford blue accents... thr black really makes the blue and silver pop IMHO.
It looks like I am gonna have to paint the top of the air cleaner Ford blue as well.
I can't believe that the top already has some pretty bad rust spots... it's a brand new Edlebrock proflo

click on pic to enlarge

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i always thought blue with chrome covers looked good. i also seen a pic of a yellow enigne with chrome covers. you sure could see it in there. black or grey are just kindof wrong. i don't think i would go orange of any shade just because of the X factor.
Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

Sorry,Ford blue only for my vote.
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

I use black for racing (sheds heat faster). I use Ford Corporate Blue for street.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

unfortunatly, blue is out. Just can't see it in a black/off white/orange engine bay. Couple of people that i have talked to that have a bit of an artistic bent seem to think that the black block/heads would get "lost" in that engine bay. The orange/aluminum would twist a few folks off... then a buddy of mine tells me he has a set of old 'vette valve covers that we could machine adapters up for & bolt them to the motor. Open the hood....orange motor, 'vette valve covers, distributor on the correct end of the motor....... :? The industrial motor grey w/ a chrome air cleaner would look "functional". I dunnno????
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

To each his own... Dark Ford blue has always looked best under a Ford hood to me, but low gloss black works very well too. If you plan to drive the truck bright colors like orange/yellow show oil and grease like mad and seam to discolor more in time from engine heat.

I've always gone to lengths to keep the Ford valve covers, knocking out baffles to make room for roller rockers, etc. Most made before the early 70's had the "power by Ford" in nice script. The coolest covers I've seen are stock early FE covers ceramic coated in gloss dark blue with a lighter blue on the script.

I've always thought the "Power by Ford" script was a pretty cool deal. If you toss the Windsor stuff out the window, Ford's always had a thing for purpose building their engines to fit the application. It's a little different from GM that stuck the same exact belly button 350 in everything or Dodge with their 318/360's.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

i did the block all in blue with chrome covers and made the timing cover water pump aluminum , with most of the pully and brackets black.

I got a hard time at school for it being so many different colors but it looks better than some kids who's block pully and every thing on the engine was all the same color
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by td »

i vote black, like stated earlier if your gonna drive it a lot, which i do mine, it'll show all the grime after a few miles with anything besides black.

Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

td:
Sweet looking engine! :thup: Black is beautiful! I vote black. :wink:
Laurence (Proud owner of 1969 Ford F-100 and 1970 GTO)
ImageImageImage
Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

fitzwell wrote:... then a buddy of mine tells me he has a set of old 'vette valve covers that we could machine adapters up for & bolt them to the motor. Open the hood....orange motor, 'vette valve covers, distributor on the correct end of the motor
Me thinks you are in the wrong forum...now where did I put that link to the chevy site? :wink:
Just joshin' ya fitz, to each his own...you gotta drive it!
Laurence (Proud owner of 1969 Ford F-100 and 1970 GTO)
ImageImageImage
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I like the Ford blue. Black soaks up too much light and makes it harder to see when working under the hood imo
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

I did not even paint my BBCs Orange Black for them but they were road racing and drag engines.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

willowbilly3 wrote:I like the Ford blue. Black soaks up too much light and makes it harder to see when working under the hood imo
you forget , i'm building a windsor. they don't break :wink:

SteveC i like the aluminum tining cover idea. Stewart makes an aluminum pump for my application...

And td...looking good!!!
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

Calvin Gunter wrote:Sorry,Ford blue only for my vote.
:yt:
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp