how to verify low mileage

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

tchrincali

how to verify low mileage

Post by tchrincali »

Well, I recently had the opportunity to purchase a '73 (I think) F250 Camper Special. The owner claims it has 12K original miles on it. I trust him completely, and that might be the info he was given. Overall, the body and paint look very good, but I just couldn't tell about the engine. It had rust and some apparent (minor) leaks, but then it's 35 years old. The truck seemed to run well. The interior was really nice, but there was some evidence that it may have been redone. I just wasn't convinced that the truck had 12K vs. 112K miles. How can you tell for certain? Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, but it seems like a general tech question. I ultimately said no to the purchase, and don't know if that was a bad decision.
JEF199

Re: how to verify low mileage

Post by JEF199 »

Is it 12k on new engine or hole truck. I always look at brake and gas pedal wear. Check for slop in steering, and pull oil fill cap and check for sluge in valve cover.
  • 1966 Ford Mustang (My First Car)
    • 1972 F250 360 3-speed
      • 1984 Bronco
      1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition
    2006 F250 5.4 Super Duty 4-door
tchrincali

Post by tchrincali »

Pedal wear almost none-but pedals can be replaced. Didn't check sludge, but sounds like good idea. 12K is on whole truck. Maybe experience in law enforcement makes me distrust everyone :D :D
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

do a title search for previous owners. that shoul show mileage when they bought and tagged the truck. the pedal pads can be replaced.