ex manifold gaskets

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

newb70f250camper

ex manifold gaskets

Post by newb70f250camper »

am going to change exhaust manifold gaskets and do not know if my truck had a heat shield or not how do i tell so i can get the correct gaskets thanks for the help :fr: :hmm: :help: :oops: also what is the easiest way to remove manifold bolts with out breaking them?/??
1970 f-250 camper special, 360, holley P/N 0-80457S (electric choke) 4v carburetor, edelbrock performer390 intake. I love my truck like I love my women.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: ex manifold gaskets

Post by Dragon »

That is a personal preference unless you are restoring to dead stock I always throw them away.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Those heat risers make the manifold get hotter in that spot and they tend to crack easier. I take mine off.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I can't hold gaskets in mine either. I use high heat silicon. There is no simply or sure fire way to get those bolts out. There are as many methods as readers here. I mentioned before, I torch out the broken ones and use grade 5 or 8 5/16s bolts all the way through with nuts and washers on the back. They hold good and will never give anyone problems again.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

I convert my bottom ones to studs when I use headers and use antiseize on the top threads. Use real short studs on the bottom is my fix it is so much easier to align the header and then nut them up before you slide all the way up.

I never put stock manifolds on if I can get the bolts out. But studs would work great after the holes were cleaned up. Don't use Ford type studs but SAE Grade 8 with course on the block side and fine on the manifold side.

Then no matter what you do stuck or headers you can get the studs undone an replaced or reused.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

warped manifolds can leak after awhile . getting them to a machine shop and having them plained off is the best thing to do before you reinstall them. as far as the heat riser does your manifold bolts have a extra nut on the bolts on top or atleast studs. if so your truck had a heat riser once. if not they may have been changed but they may be original. if you dont want to plain them off do what i did and use double gasket on them. that made mine stop leaking.