Which vendor has the best FE motor mounts?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Which vendor has the best FE motor mounts?

Post by robroy »

Hi!

I'm looking for new motor mounts, and Dennis Carpenter has only the right side mount. It's made in USA.

Who has the best motor mounts?

Thanks!
-Robroy
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Which vendor has the best FE motor mounts?

Post by willowbilly3 »

I don't know but it got me to wondering if anyone makes a captive mount system like Chevy used. That would be cool to have mounts that never rip apart.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I have the ones from NPD.

Not Impressed...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Does NAPA still sell them?
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

NAPA has part# BK 6021168, but it's $8.50, which just doesn't seem right. The Dennis Carpenter part is $20, which is a little more confidence inspiring.
FORD428CJ

Post by FORD428CJ »

I would go down to NAPA and check it out!!! But that is just me and spend my extra money on something else. JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Robroy, somtimes the simplest way is the best way. Go down to napa & check them out. Hold them in your hand & see if they are a good piece or just some made in China junk. If they look to be of good quality, go with them. Your not planning on running your truck in the BAJA or rockcrawling the Rubicon trail with it after all! :2cents:

DC has some good stuff, but most of it is WAY too expensive. They are probably the same as the napa ones except they have a DC stamp on them. These are just old Ford trucks after all. He is making a killing on his markup.

Napa & all the other parts stores still have a good selection of parts for these old trucks due to the fact that so many of them are still on the road. :woohoo:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

i got my 429's motor mounts fromm Summit racing and had a fat gusset welded on at the shop. nice and sturdy :)
of course, this is a heavy 460block in a offroad racing truck so its got to be sturdy. yours dont need to be that sturdy but sturdy is always nice
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Wes, Matt, and Ryan, thanks very much for your advice.

Wes and Matt, maybe I should just go on down to NAPA and order one to check it out. Unfortunately they don't have these in stock and if I order one, I need to buy it (and I can't return it). But at $8.50 it's a pretty safe gamble even if it turns out to be a paperweight.

Ryan, your motor mounts are awesome! I remember following the thread you started on installing those. Unfortunately Summit doesn't have FE mounts.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any more ideas on places to check?
-Robroy
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

robroy wrote: But at $8.50 it's a pretty safe gamble even if it turns out to be a paperweight.
-Robroy
I have never had anything from NAPA be a paperweight. 8.49 per unit.

I only had one Ford eat the driver's mount consistently. My Super Stock 67 Mustang. The chassis twisted up and right, the engine twisted away to the right and the left motor mount would last exactly 2 weekends of racing. None of my racing Ford trucks ever broke a motor mount but then because of the difference in weight, the types of racing were different and only the Mustang launched at 8000 RPM with 14 inch slicks.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
FORD428CJ

Post by FORD428CJ »

robroy wrote:Hey Wes, Matt, and Ryan, thanks very much for your advice.

Wes and Matt, maybe I should just go on down to NAPA and order one to check it out. Unfortunately they don't have these in stock and if I order one, I need to buy it (and I can't return it). But at $8.50 it's a pretty safe gamble even if it turns out to be a paperweight.

Ryan, your motor mounts are awesome! I remember following the thread you started on installing those. Unfortunately Summit doesn't have FE mounts.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any more ideas on places to check?
-Robroy
You bet!!! Any time that I can help out FE Freak like myself LOL...
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Is it true that one mount takes 95% of the punishment because it's being pulled on by the engine? And is that the driver's side mount?

Thanks again!
-Robroy
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

The driver's side takes most but when you pull them both because if you tore one, the other will go on the next driver's side tear. It would show tearing at the metal to rubber interface. On the street probably a little less than 95% because they get weak from oil leaks which make them tear easier. If the engine can lift under torque it is worse.

The racers though are a different story. My 69 GT-C class road racing 396 Camaro broke both sides and the engine was laying on the passenger bottom header flange where as the engine rolled over it got caught on the motor mount base. Both Hooker headers destroyed, fuel lines (2), floor pan torn from the shifter which also was bent and one radiator hose torn off. 620 ft lbs of torque being fed through a Ford Toploader to 3.08 gears. Last the nasty dent in the hood. The safety pressure switch on the fuel log shut down the pumps so no big fire. So much for the Chevrolet built in motor retainers. Lucky it was during qualifications. :woohoo:
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Dragon, thanks for the info and story!

Your story reminds me of why I'm concerned. Although my engine isn't producing >600 ft/lbs of torque, it is rated at 463 ft/lbs at 4,000RPM, and I'm concerned that it'll break motor mounts pretty easily. Especially considering all the things I've heard about FE motor mounts being suboptimal.

Thanks again,
-Robroy
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

To be honest, my experience over the years with NAPA parts is that I trust them more than the repop places.

BTW, my 390 is pretty stout, and even in my nitrous days, sled pulling, mud bogging, and working the truck every day, I havent broke one. I'd say it made equal torque, and probably closer to 600 ft lbs when I used to hit the button.

Most guys that break them, break old ones, I havent seen new mounts be a problem

If you are really concerned, make up a limiting strap on the drivers side. In the old days we'd use a short length of chain that hung just less than tight from the head to the frame.

However, there are other options if you look around.

On my Mustang, I through-bolt the mounts, which is another option, drill through them with a drill press, and put a lock nut and a bolt, again, just tight enough that it doesnt rattle in the hole, and the mount still has movement. I havent done this on an FE truck, but it is an option, just look close on where you could position it.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs