Engine ID question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ILUV2694UFord

Engine ID question

Post by ILUV2694UFord »

Hi there I am having problems figuring out an engine size on a motor i found it's numbers on the side the block read CIVE6015_a22 and on the back the block they say 6B172956 would anyone here be able to help me figure it out and the guy i got it from says it is 428 cobra jet but i want to make sure
Last edited by FORDification on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split first post from unrelated thread
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine ID question

Post by Hawkrod »

If the number on the side of the block really says C1VE 6015 then you have a a Lincoln 430 and it truly is a turd as far as value goes. I hope you did not pay much for it, I have bought four on ebay in the last year or so and have not paid more than $75 for one (I do Lincolns too). The exhaust manifolds are somewhat in demand (especially the passenger one) but otherwise the motors are pretty much scrap metal unless you deal with ratrodders. The trans for these are special BTW and if you don't have one nothing else will bolt up. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Normally you cannot tell the cubic inch displacement of an FE block by reading casting numbers, since the same block was used on a variety of CIDs. However, I CAN tell you that this engine is definitely NOT a 428CJ. Why? Well, the 'C1' denotes a block that was engineered in 1961...which just happens to be seven years before the CobraJet was even released. (Ford first introduced the 428 Cobra Jet in April 1968 as a mid-year option during the 1968 model year, and was only produced for three years.)

And I hate to break this to you...but the 'V' indicates it's not even an FE block. It was engineered for the Lincoln Continental, and AFAIK there was never an FE in a Lincoln. The only reference I could find seems to show that yours is a 430 cid Lincoln, T-bird, Edsel engine, a member of the MEL engine family , which includes the familiar 429 and 460.

I sure hope you didn't spend a bunch of money on this one. Trust me...you're gonna want to get your money back. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you can buy a sticker then it is definetly a 428 cj. :lol:
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

A C1 block will NOT be a CJ block (no CJs in 1961), but lets see what else you have, and like Hawk said, it might be a real oddball MEL (at least as far as what you'd want in an F series, in other words, not an FE)

Get the casting number between the center spark plugs on the head and the casting number off the intake, if you can see the crank, look for a 1U, 1UA, 1UB or NOT a CJ would be 2U, 2T or something else like that. Basically get us some more. Even a picture would help

Doesnt mean its not a good buy, even a MEL could be good trading stock for the right price, but it isnt looking like a CJ
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
ILUV2694UFord

Post by ILUV2694UFord »

thanx i looked at the crank and it has a an A stamped in it so it turns out it is a cobra jet and been bored out 40 thousands over
ILUV2694UFord

Post by ILUV2694UFord »

that and my cousin read the code wrong it is C7ME he didn't clean all the block off enough to see LOL and i picked it up for 500 bucks and it was rebuilt not that long ago
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

I am still not so sure it is a Cobra Jet although it may have been built to CJ specs. The C7ME blocks were only used on the very earliest CJ's but the number you gave (6B172956) means it is a 1966 engine from a vehicle built at Oakville. I had wondered about that number and the C1VE number together, That number and the C7ME number can be found together as the C7ME castings did come out early and were used in 66. Double check that number again and see if it something else also. What are the numbers on the heads and intake? Those are really what make a CJ. Also look on the back of the block facing the flywheel and look for a large A or C that almost looks like it was welded on. If you don't see any letter it is almost guaranteed that it did not start its life as a 428 (some shady machine shops will bore a 390 too far and put 428 parts in it but unfortunately those engines usually do not last very long). A CJ block will have some extra reinforcements cast in and the rods have an odd sized nut (if it is 9/16 it is not CJ). Get some more details and we will narrow it down and say yeah or nay. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

dont think i have the solution to your question. i just gotta tell ya that your username is awesome
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Also it seems every 428 turns into a CJ or SCJ somehow. :lol: :lol:
Remember the balance issue, your internal balanced FE flywheel will make it shake like a dog pooping razor blades.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.