Too much for a 390?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Frankenstein

Too much for a 390?

Post by Frankenstein »

I have a stock rebuilt 390 with a 2bbl right now but I want to swap over to a eddy intake and carb. I have an Eddy 600cfm electric choke and a Eddy 500 cfm electric choke both sitting on the shelf. As for an intake my buddy got me a used Eddy streetmaster intake at a swapmeet the other weekend. I have always thought that a single plane intake was too much for a daily driver and gone with a duel plane performer for my street driven cars. Im not going racing so if the streetmaster will be too much I will see if I can trade it for a duel plane.
stangconv

Re: Too much for a 390?

Post by stangconv »

I got an Edelbrock Performer intake for a 390 I would trade you....

But I would end up with the better intake...
Frankenstein

Post by Frankenstein »

So for a daily driver bone stock rebuilt 390 with a C6 a single plane is better? I know that it will still be crap for gas mileage but wouldn't a duel plane better for that atleast?
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

The Streetmaster and Street Dominator (almost the same from Holley) are single planes, but they are very small plenum, small runner single planes. Dont let the "race single plane" description of no low end scare you away

They work GREAT on a truck. I run one on my 390 in my bump. Run it with the 600 and you'll be very happy.

FYI - Be sure to torque the bolts, with a torque wrench to 30 ft lb, dont just wing it. The second bolt back is unsupported on a Streetmaster and can crack with a heavy wrist. A Street Dominator doesnt have the same problem, nor do the dual planes.

I say have a blast, that intake will work great

Matter of fact, look at the pic below :)
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

The old Edelbrock TorqueMaster was a straight runner and single plane small plenum. It pulled from an idle to 5500 with strong power everywhere. Small plenum keeps air velocity up and cylinders better stuffed.

I just went to Holley's site and they don't do big block anymore.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test