cam change... will it sound better?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

kevs250

cam change... will it sound better?

Post by kevs250 »

hey guys, i have a 1970 f250 with a 360 stock engine except 2 flowmasters out the back.
i wanted to ask what is the best cam shaft to install in my truck?
i like the way my truck sounds but wanted a little more louder and give it that nice tone at idle, would installing
a bigger cam make this happen?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: cam change... will it sound better?

Post by ToughOldFord »

With stock or close to stock compression this is the one to get:

Chunk Long

It's just a mild cam though so don't expect a serious lope to it. I have it in my 390 and am happy with it.

FWIW the 902 is the same as a 901, the 902 is a kit with the lifters and cam. The 901 is just the cam.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

The 941 is supposed to be a good one if you've beefed up your compression. From what I've read, I have no personal experience with it though. And I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that you can't use the stock rockers and valve springs with it. :2cents:
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

You want to change the cam just for more "sound"? At what price? You can get a really wild one that will lope like a 3 legged horse but I don't think you would be happy driving it.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

ToughOldFord wrote:The 941 is supposed to be a good one if you've beefed up your compression. From what I've read, I have no personal experience with it though. And I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that you can't use the stock rockers and valve springs with it. :2cents:
I have the 941 and I used the stock rockers. I'd recommend adjustable rockers though.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

willowbilly3 wrote:You want to change the cam just for more "sound"? At what price? You can get a really wild one that will lope like a 3 legged horse but I don't think you would be happy driving it.

Correct. We used to call 'em "Dairy Queen" cams. Sound good loping thru the parking lot...and won't scatter s@*t with a shovel. Check comp cams & see what they have in the 262-266 range. Might not lope as hard, but you'll be a lot happier with the performance.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The Crane 901/902 cam has a really good rep with the FE truck engines. It outperforms anything Comp offers in the same range. You do need the correct valvesprings for the 901 and adjustables would be a smart move. The 901 does have a healthy truck lope to it at idle. It's a cam that sounds excellent in a low compression engine with a very heavy load in the 2500-3500 range.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70