automatic to manual choke

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JHEBERT

automatic to manual choke

Post by JHEBERT »

I want to convert my stock ford carburator automatic choke to a manual choke. Any ideas on how to do this and/or do they make a kit for this type of conversion?
H-DFord

Re: automatic to manual choke

Post by H-DFord »

What kind of engine are you wanting to do this too? I would think the easiest way would be to get a manual choke carb and put it on your truck. I should have one for a FE engine that is manual. Then all you would need is the choke cable. John
1968 Ford Ranger Lb
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
JHEBERT

Post by JHEBERT »

The engine is a 360. the truck is a 1970
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi! I performed this modification on my 1972 F250 using a choke cable, knob, and bezel from a 1967 F100. I needed to replace my carb anyways so I just ordered one with a manual choke. It works great!

-Robroy
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Throughout the late 70's 80's and even now, most parts places will have a "manual choke converstion kit" for all of the folks that have gotten sick of their "automatic chokes".

Look in the "HELP" section in a parts place -- not behind the counter. Sometimes the monkeys behind the counter do not know what you are even talking about.
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

If you need a choke cable I have one. Comes with the bezel.
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

WHy would you want to do this? Just curious...
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Because sometimes simple is better. Automatic chokes have a way of staying on too long or not coming on at all. Hand chokes are just a matter of knowing to pull it when the engine is cold and pushing it back open once the engine is running good. Beats me why we EVER went to automatic chokes on carburated engines.
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
H-DFord

Post by H-DFord »

Just PM me if you need a rebuildable carb. I bought it but have decided to replace my 360 so will not need it.
1968 Ford Ranger Lb
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have made that swap many times. The old auto chokes were pretty sorry for cold weather when they were new and after a few decades can be really annoying.
The conversion kits are just as big a pos as the original choke, maybe worse, don't go that route. Get the 65-69 carb and kit it or get a Holley. I changed my stock carb on my 69 to a Holley to get rid of a bad heat soak problem and I like that carb fine. It is a 350 and a bit small for the 390 but low end and mid range are fine and mileage didn't go down.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.