Are stainless exhaust systems worth the extra cost?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Are stainless exhaust systems worth the extra cost?

Post by robroy »

Good morning,

I'm interested in hearing opinions on whether stainless exhaust systems are "worth it" or not.

I've personally never had a vehicle that remained unmodified for long enough for this to matter before, but I may not be aware of all the benefits of stainless exhaust.

Does anybody know:

1. Approximately how much more expensive are stainless exhaust systems if all the installation work is hired out?

2. Other than not rusting out and being expensive, what other pros and cons are you aware of?

Since I plan on doing more significant work on my truck within the next ten years, and am likely to be removing the exhaust at that time, I'm guessing that non-stainless is the best idea for me. But what do you think?

Thanks very much for all the fantastic advice,
-Robroy
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Are stainless exhaust systems worth the extra cost?

Post by heep70 »

My opinion is it is if you need a pecker extension. Aluminized is just as good and less money.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Heep70 and Joshpow, thanks for replying to my post!

I think your advice is sound. Since I don't plan on keeping this exhaust forever it seems like I should avoid the stainless route.

Probably because I'm new to many aspects of car building, I'm not familiar with aluminized exhaust.

Do exhaust shops use aluminized pipes by default? Or is this a special option that I need to ask for?

And if it is a special option, how much more does it cost?

Thanks very much for being patient with my questions and for all the great advice.

-Robroy
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

Most shops near me use it anyway. I'm not sure about other places. I don't think the pipe is much more expensive. If you are unsure whether they use it, just ask if they carry the aluminized exhaust pipe. Another good idea would be aluminized mufflers. I had to ask about them for my truck. Glad to help you make your decision. If you got more ????????, just give me a message or PM and I'll try to answer.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Most stainless exhaust systems are prefabricated, and there are various grades of stainless as well, so direct comparisons of cost are very hard to make. Take something like a fox body Mustang and compare stainless systems to similar quality non-stainless and I think you will find they are about 50-100%more.

Also, keep in mind for custom fabrication that stainless should be tig welded with a shielding gas, so there are additional cost in both materials and labor/procedure.

As for whether the cost is worth it? That is a decision only you can make…
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Josh and Robert!

It sounds like the stainless option isn't for me, since a super long life isn't what I'm most interested in.

Thanks for all the great advice!
-Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

No they are not.

Yeah, if it's my fault for saying that's what I have on the ranch and parts of my stang, just remember it's all recycled dairy pipe that I got for free. A 3" 90` 304 stainless dairy bend is around $70 or more each now. Shoot, a straight 10' chunk of 2.5" aluminumized steel was $35 last year. You won't pay someone to do it unless you are rich and you won't 'need' it for any reason. Of course if you stumble across some at a recyclers try to buy it. It makes great trading fodder.

BTW, the 304 welds fine with mild wire, the seams get some rust fuzz, but that's about it.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Jamie, thanks for your advice! It sounds like something I'll definitely avoid for this project (stainless pipes, not advice). :)

-Robroy