engine oil/lube question for installing new pump?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

engine oil/lube question for installing new pump?

Post by rjewkes »

It has been suggested to try a new pump in my 302 just incase oil pressure is all it needs to work right again( :dk: I\everything spins freely but is noisy :dk: :help: ).

Anything to look for besides shavings in the pan when i pull it off? any particular bearings to look closely at? i'll definatley try to look at the timing chain or atleast what i can see of it.

if everything looks worth putting the new pump in , besides priming it and the engine, should i get some assembly grease and smear on stuff on the bottom end? or just prime the pump?

I figure i'll need a pumpif/when i rebuild it anyways.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: engine oil/lube question for installing new pump?

Post by fitzwell »

Check the front main bearing. The old firing order 302's were hell on that particular journal & bearing. If you are down to base stock on that bearing,no reason to do a new pump at this time, Just use some heavier weight oil until you can rebuild, and install the new pump then.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Will that work with the pump allready not pumping anything?
it stopped working while i was at freeway speeds.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

the easiest way to check for metal shavings in the oil is to get a good paper paint filter and drain your oil through it.

dunno if you knew that but i thought id offer that little bit of help
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Look at the rod bearings. Pull the rod caps and take a peek. Thats where most of the racket comes from. If they
look like copper color, replace em. Bout all ya can do unless your rebuilding it. Regard's Jake

I use plain old "Moly" grease. They re-package it and call it assembly lube. You can cut it with motor oil if too thick. It
sticks and stays slick a lot better than "white grease/Lubriplate". Pretty good stuff.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thinks guy thursday is the soonest i can look with the current sched for tue. and wed. this week. Will remember all advice. who knows might take a few pics with sis's camera see if you guys can see anything i miss.
fuelly.com
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

oops...having read your original post again, i now understand. If the pump quit at highway speed, id bet the pump shaft looks like a metallic pretzel. Get a new motorsport shaft. When you drop the pump, mark the cover & pull it off. Bet there is a peice of trash in the rotors. Clean the pump out real well & reassemble. Dont forget to go by the parts emporium on the way & get new gaskets for the pump mounting, and the screen as well. If you want to "prime " the system, get a 1/4 deep socket, and a piece if 1/4 allthread. Braze the socket onto the rod, voila...primer shaft. Spin it over until you get pressure, reinstall the dist & off ya go
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

are you saying the pump itself may still be good? that'd be cool.
fuelly.com
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

rjewkes wrote:are you saying the pump itself may still be good? that'd be cool.

Possible.

once you get the pump apart (don't forget to mark the cover, relative to the pump. and the rotors, relative to each other) take a good look, if it's badly scored, you will have a slight pressure drop, not enough in your instance to worry about. Make sure you get all the junk out of the pump housing (and screen as well), or you'll be doing this again soon. Clean it up & reassemble.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Worrying about the pump now is like taking a corpse to the emergency room... a bit too late

If it knocked, not just made valve train rattles you need bearings at the least.

Pull the motor, inspect the bearings and pump, go from there. I've done the bearing and pump rebuild for $60 before. It lasted a year or so. Also go a head and get a high volume oil pump is you do.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Nothing in an oil pump can really "go bad" unless some metal went through it and then you have bigger problems. I have had many customers insist on replacing them over the years and never had it ever make any difference in oiling issues.
The only scenario might be a timing gear tooth from a previously failed timing set.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Mellings makes a nice one still, I think. Jake