ported vaccume?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

clemm17

ported vaccume?

Post by clemm17 »

Hi. Can anyone tell me for sure if a 1982 ford bronco with stock elctronic ignition, had timed or ported vaccume. Or did it use manifold vaccume for the vac advance on the distributer. I was kind of thinking all older fords used ported vaccume, but im not sure, and its not really running quite right either way. I would like to know for sure so I can eliminate this potential problem and move on. I rebuilt this engine, high performance and stuck it in a 1971 F250 4X4 crewcab. I have no idea where the vac hoses in the bronco went.
Thank You
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: ported vaccume?

Post by rjewkes »

It woud depend on the engine and wether carbed or injected.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

It's got two ports, no. The one on the end makes it advance. Theres a hole where the hose goes on. Inside, theres
a 1/8" allen nut. More later.

In the 80's Ford had 20 or 30 different vac. diagrams for each car/truck. This was a royal PITA. I used to "smog test"
a lot of these POS's. Cut to the chase. Ported vac to the end hookup on the dist vac advance. The other port is vac.
retard. I would not use that. For "NOX" reduction. Who cares about "Nox"! It's all BS anyway, Like the R12 thing.
Jeez, do you have to smog test it? If not we can make it work pretty easy. Jake

The 1/8" allen screw adjusts the spring in the vac. can on the distributor. The allen goes in the vac. port.
Trial & error. Turn it to far left and it will fall apart. Two turns either way is usually safe. Keep track if you
do it. Jake
clemm17

Post by clemm17 »

Sorry I thought I put the engine in there. Its a 300 six, carburated, and there is only one vac hose conection on the end of vac cylinder on the distributer.
The 82 had smog, this was put in a 71 and built to 71 specs, except I upgraded to the electronic ignition out of the 82. It does not need to be tested.
Thanks
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Well, ok. I had no info. It's supposed to be ported then. Jake
clemm17

Post by clemm17 »

Ok. THANK YOU! I already went, and im going to stay ported. Timing is perfect, no fuel leaks, fuel psi perfect, plugs fine,ect,ect,ect,ect, ......
I found a possable problem and now I am not sure what im going to do.
The correct awnser to the question I posted here is : None of the above! :hmm:
The 82 had an air pump and emission controlls. The vacumme ran thru an emission controll valve and used a blend of both timed and manifold vacumme acording to that valve.
I bought an 82 distributer to match the 82 electronic ignition I used.,but this engine does not have those controlls. Now I think both the vacume and mechanical advance curves may be wrong because of this.
Im not sure what to do know. I dont have the money for another new distributer, and I dont have the skill or equipment to build a new advance curve.
Thanks Mike :?
Last edited by Thunderfoot on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Email address, members can use the PM or e-mail buttons to contact the original poster