do all big-blocks do this?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

do all big-blocks do this?

Post by 1971ford »

every time we start the 71 with its newly swapped in 429, the starter starts out really slow, and slowly gains speed until it starts.
i recently watched a video of another members 429 exhaust, and when he started it did the same thing but his wasnt as bad as mine.

the starter just starts out rreeeally slow, and sloowly gains speed until the engine fires. and you better hope that the engine starts the first couple times or else your going to have a dead battery. one with we will do is put a heavier guage battery cable in that runs to the solenoid because the cable part that attaches to the solenoid smokes every time.

anything to do about this? should the heavier guage cable take care of it?
-Ryan
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: do all big-blocks do this?

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Ryan,

That sounds like a tired starter... or weak battery.
There may not be enough CCA's in the battery to turn the starter over very well
I would imagine that because it takes more power to turn over a bigger engine, especially if it's a good tight engine, that it would wear out starters fairly quickly.
I had a friend in HS that dropped a pumped up 440 in a Plymouth Scamp....
that thing would wear out about one starter a year...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Cable smoking and getting hot sounds like the starter is pulling a lot of amps...
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

my 352 i dont have to crank on it more than 2-3 seconds and it fires right up.... un less she is being tempermental
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

Drop the starter and check your brushes. Then the bushings in the bull nose and back plate. Brushes can be replaced, so can bushings but they can be a real PITA!!!
If the coating on the core windings show any sign of burn/melt. Replace the whole thing.

We commonly run across this same problem with lift gate motors at work. Its usually the brushes.

Good luck,
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

What do you have the intial timing set at? If its too far advanced it'll kick back on the starter.

If OK, then check grounds, all cable ends, battery posts etc for clean solid connections, if not, probably bad starter or weak battery
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
RedneckTexan
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by RedneckTexan »

Me thinks its the starter, that almost what my starter did when it was going out, but on the 2-3 attempt to start, it would "break free" and just spin, making a "EERRRRRRRRR!" noise lol
John

68 F-100~68 F-350~69 F-250~69 F-100
76 F-150~78 bronco~78 bronco

http://oldfordcrewcabs.com/
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Try this. Pull the coil wire out of the cap and ground it. See if it cranks better. Feel the battery cables
with your hand and see if one's hot/warm. It should spin over pretty easy, unless theres resistance in the
starter cicuit or the initial timing is jacked up. If one of the cables gets hot, replace it and clean the connections
where it hooks to. If it spins ok with the coil wire unplugged, back the timing off till it dont drag.
Before anything, take the cables off the batt. and clean the terminals and cables where they go on. Get a
batt. terminal cleaner tool. That just might be all thats wrong.

Jake
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

thanks guys, i havent tried the tips yet but..

we drove the truck to a off-road place 15min. away and drove the truck around. while i was making a lap, i realized i never plugged the alternator in :D

and also, the starter starts the engine in 2-3 seconds when its warm. kinda weird..
-Ryan
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Thats nice the charging sys. works. Maybee it will start more often now. Good call :wink: