Replacing headers - (near idiot here)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Roodaddy

Replacing headers - (near idiot here)

Post by Roodaddy »

Hi guys (and gals),
First of all, I am a desk jockey through the week, but on weekends I can handle a wrench or a hammer quite well. Now the idiot part. When I look at the headers and their connection to the engine and the rest of the exhaust all I see are bolts, nuts, flanges and gaskets. Is replacing them really something a guy with no dirt under his fingernails can actually do?

Now there comes the challenge of finding the replacements. I have a Camper Special and the application notes for both the Hedman 89100 and Flowtech 12540FLT say they will not work with CS's. Does anyone know why? :help:

Thanks,
Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
Roodaddy

Re: Replacing headers - (near idiot here)

Post by Roodaddy »

With some well directed searching I found others have had the Camper Special questions before. Since I have no sway bar I should be able to use any header and since I'm replacing I figured as much even though the parts store guy told me they still wouldn't work.

Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by theskytoucher »

IF you dont have a sway bar you can install any headers for your truck!! And I would suspect you wouldnt be able to change out the headers without doing some moving of the engine in the bay!!
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

Roo,

i'm reading u presently have headers--if so i cannot see why u couldn't find a set to go back with--and the physical part ain't no big deal--u can do it :thup:

my experience says most header installations require a little bfh(big fing hammer) massage in certain spots--a little dimple here or there is not going to diminish performance enough to be noticed on most dd engines--and chrome headers are 4 showboats
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

The Headmans are pretty nice. They fit my 250 with no clearance issues at all. Pic's!
Jake

Your not an idiot or you would'nt be here. These are pretty well made. 3/8" flanges, thick tubing and their ceramic
coated/silver. They got bell flanges instead of gaskets at the collectors where your pipes go on. Pretty nice. I think
I paid 300.00+ but it's worth a few bucks more to get good stuff, in my opinion. Good luck, Jake