mounting engine mounts. how do you do it?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

mounting engine mounts. how do you do it?

Post by 1971ford »

pulled out a 360 out of my 71 f250 2wd which had engine towers like normal. putting in a 429 with a 429 c6 tranny. bought these mounts:
no holes line up with any holes in the crossmember.
how do i drill the new holes for the new mounts?
whats the whole procedure :?

i know if it is barely off it will screw everything up :(
-Ryan
green68250

re: mounting engine mounts. how do you do it?

Post by green68250 »

Do the mounts that are on the 429 the same or look anything like the ones on your 360? I would think you could swap the mounts from one engine to the other and be able to use the 360 towers that were already in your truck. This is just hypathetical. I've never done it myself but its an idea. The towers you bought look like they are for a custom application and not for a specific frame.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Those are aftermarket conversion mounts. He can't use factory parts because a 460 was never offered in a Bumpside or Dentside 4x4.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

But he's got a 2wd, so he bought the wrong mounts? That'd explain why nothing lines up.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

73-79 460 F100/F250 2WD engine mounts and perches will bolt directly into a bump.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: mounting engine mounts. how do you do it?

Post by FORDification »

ToughOldFord wrote:But he's got a 2wd, so he bought the wrong mounts? That'd explain why nothing lines up.
:lol: Whoops...shoulda read the whole thing, I guess. :oops:
Last edited by FORDification on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

there the right mounts, atleast they said they are for a 429 2wd. and ive allready welded a fat gusset onto them. they bolted right up to the block. just wont line up with previous crossmember holes, which i wasnt expecting.

why wont they work, as long as new holes are drilled on the crossmember :?
-Ryan
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

1971ford wrote:there the right mounts, atleast they said they are for a 429 2wd. and ive allready welded a fat gusset onto them. they bolted right up to the block. just wont line up with previous crossmember holes, which i wasnt expecting.

At first glance they appeared to be 4x4 mounts....now that I look at them again, I can see they will work...though I've never seen a pair like that.

Is there any markings on them to indicate who the manufacturer is? You might be able to download installation instructions from their website.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Start turning them around 360 degrees on the holes, try each one on both sides. They gotta fit, I can't imagine someone selling something that won't bolt in. You just must not be seeing it.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

FORDification wrote:
1971ford wrote:there the right mounts, atleast they said they are for a 429 2wd. and ive allready welded a fat gusset onto them. they bolted right up to the block. just wont line up with previous crossmember holes, which i wasnt expecting.

At first glance they appeared to be 4x4 mounts....now that I look at them again, I can see they will work...though I've never seen a pair like that.

Is there any markings on them to indicate who the manufacturer is? You might be able to download installation instructions from their website.
i need to know how to drill the holes in the exact right places, not instructions on how to put them together.

what i want to know is the procedure, like do i put the engine in and line it up with the tranny and everything, make marks to drill, pull engine, drill holes, reinstall engine?
if the holes wound up being a half inch off then we would probably be screwed big time :(
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

BobbyFord wrote:Start turning them around 360 degrees on the holes, try each one on both sides. They gotta fit, I can't imagine someone selling something that won't bolt in. You just must not be seeing it.
the only go one way. no holes line up.

here are the mounts
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

the dont mention that they should bolt right in, and they dont mention that they are for 67-72 trucks specifically. when i bought them i knew i would be drilling holes.
-Ryan
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

What I was thinking was that there might be a template to download with the proper hole locations.

If not, then what you outlined is how you'd need to do it. Install the engine, transmission and driveshaft. Bolt the mounts to the engine and lower down onto the crossmember. Make sure the truck is on a flat level surface, and then lay a level across the top of the carburetor mounting pad on the intake manifold, and adjust as necessary to get the engine setting level. Once the engine is down and level, mark the holes, pull the engine and drill the holes.

In fact, that's how the manufacturer suggests doing it:

http://www.tdperformance.com/info/download.asp?id=6480#
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

:yt:

Or just go to a wrecking yard and get the proper towers. :thup:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: mounting engine mounts. how do you do it?

Post by 1971ford »

FORDification wrote:What I was thinking was that there might be a template to download with the proper hole locations.

If not, then what you outlined is how you'd need to do it. Install the engine, transmission and driveshaft. Bolt the mounts to the engine and lower down onto the crossmember. Make sure the truck is on a flat level surface, and then lay a level across the top of the carburetor mounting pad on the intake manifold, and adjust as necessary to get the engine setting level. Once the engine is down and level, mark the holes, pull the engine and drill the holes.

In fact, that's how the manufacturer suggests doing it:

http://www.tdperformance.com/info/download.asp?id=6480#
thanks!! thats what i was looking for :D
should of found that link myself
:fr: :fr:
-Ryan
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

wouldn't the 460/428 towers from a late 70's 2wd also work? push comes to shove?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com