Ignition module heating up?????

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mitchmc_13

Ignition module heating up?????

Post by mitchmc_13 »

Recentley changed my ignition on my truck from tips to electronic. Got everything hooked up and the truck was a hit or miss wether it would start or not. Got an ignition module from the local wrecking yard and now it runs well and starts everytime. The only thing is that the ignition module gets quite hot even when the truck isnt running. It can just be sitting in the driveway and the ignition module will get hot. What could be causing this? I'm guessing a wiring problem but i dunno forsure. Could it be the fact that the ignition module came out of a car with a 6 cylinder engine? Any advice appreciated!!
390F100

re: Ignition module heating up?????

Post by 390F100 »

Check out the Pertronix points eliminator kit, it eliminates the points but also all of the messy wiring and the module you have to mount on the wheel well.I just got one for my truck but haven't installed it yet. Will let you know once I do...
mitchmc_13

Post by mitchmc_13 »

sorry i forgot to include that the truck has a 5.0L 302 V8 in it.
DuckRyder

Re: re: Ignition module heating up?????

Post by DuckRyder »

mitchmc_13 wrote:sorry i forgot to include that the truck has a 5.0L 302 V8 in it.
So you are talking about a TFI module which is mounted on the distributor?

Did you use some silicone paste on the mating surfaces to aid heat transfer?

And how hot is hot? Like warm, or can't keep your finger on it hot?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

If it's getting hot just sitting there I would think the red wire has voltage present all the time rather than being "switched" like it should be.

If it is a Dura Spark the red wire should be key on power, the white wire should have voltage present while the engine is cranking. The green wire goes to the negative side of the ignition coil, the black is the ground and grounds to the breaker plate inside the distributor.

The purple and orange are the signal wires from the pick up (stator) inside the distributor to the ignition module.

With the engine running it is normal for Dura Spark modules to get hot. Make sure you have it bolted to the truck so the heat can transfer through the screws and mounting surfaces.
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514