Need PCV Help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

wilhay

Need PCV Help

Post by wilhay »

I have a 1972 f100, v-8 302. Went to parts store to buy pcv. They have a listing for one for my year, sold me one. Problem is I can't find it on the truck, I've crawled all over this engine. They had a parts locator guide, it says it's on the drivers side valve cover, only thing on that cover is the oil filler cap. On the pass. side there is a plastic 90 degree hollow elbow attached to a hose that goes into the air cleaner. Could this be the ventilation system as opposed to a pcv. The truck is all original, it's never jury rigged. Until 4 years ago when my dad died nobody ever worked on it but the Ford dealership and he bought the truck new. What gives?
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Need PCV Help

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey wilhay

I'm not sure if a 302 is different, but on my 390 the PCV valve is in the filler cap... perhaps someone put a different cap on ???

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
j41385
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by j41385 »

The hose from the filler cap is to pull clean filtered air into the oil fill cap. There is no pcv in the filler cap. The PCV needs Vacuum, and the hose is hooked to the intake manifold, or in some cases the carburetor. But the pcv connects to the top rear of the passenger side Valve cover. :thup:
1968 F100 Took the running 390 out, and installed a Built 300 with AOD.
Engine Video... http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xgYd2u79NU

Image Image
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

I'm wondering the same thing as kaptnkaos. Maybe look at the carb and see if someone plugged off the PCV fitting with a vacuum plug. It should be fairly large, maybe 5/16" or 3/8".

I had a '72 Gran Torino 302 that had the plastic elbow on the RH valve cover connected to a PCV filter in the back of the air cleaner. On the LH valve cover, it had the oil filler cap with PCV valve in the top and a hose going to the 2V carburetor. The '72 Mustang 351C that I'm planning on putting in my truck has the same setup. Not sure if the cars & trucks shared the same PCV setups, but hope this helps. :thup:
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Here's a pic of my 390 with the PCV valve in the p.side filler cap.
The vacuum hose goes from it to the carb.
The d.side is exactly the same filler cap without a PCV valve but has an elbow coming out of it with a hose that connects to the air cleaner.

p.side

d.side
Click on pic to enlarge

Someone could have very easily put a solid cap on it...
It been a whilke since I messed with a small block, but it seems like the 302 in my '68 Fairlane was set up the same way...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

bugser

Post by bugser »

You can get a filler cap with a grommeted hole to stick a pcv valve in. I believe you want to make sure the filler hole has a plate blocking direct access to the lifters though so you don't suck oil into the valve.

I ran mine back to the vacuum "tree" on the manifold. I also ran a hose from the passenger side cover to the air filter. Don't know if that's the proper way or not, but hey, if you want it done right, hire a professional...or listen to me.

Either way, you get what you pay for.
RON

Excuse me while I whip this out
bugser

Post by bugser »

Hey Kapn...that's exactly what I had...only opposite.

:P
RON

Excuse me while I whip this out
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

Keep in mind that not all years and models are the same. I am not familiar with 72 302's in F series trucks but many Ford got the PCV in the drivers side front valve cover in 72 and the passenger rear vented to the air cleaner. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Ron...

Yeah...
I bought a set of old school Holley cast aluminum valve covers for an FE they are set up the opposite way from my truck, so I couldn't use them on it.
The carb linkage was in the way and I didn't wanna run any extra hoses to clutter things up...
I'm pretty sure I can use them on my bus... they'll look good on it.

KaptnKA 8) S

Gunz

Post by Gunz »

1969/72 F100 302 / PCV Routing

Left (drivers) side valve cover: Oil cap to cover / Grommet to oil cap / 90 degree elbow thru grommet to oil cap / Hose from elbow to nipple on air cleaner.

Right (passenger) side valve cover: Grommet to valve cover / Smog valve fits into grommet / Hose from smog valve to nipple on carb spacer plate.
Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / Part Number Research ~ 1928/2002 / Obsolete Parts Search

1963 Galaxie 500XL / 1965 F100 8' Styleside (original owner) / 2008 Ford Fusion