Deleting in cab gas tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Aaron

Deleting in cab gas tank

Post by Aaron »

i am wanting to get rid of the gas tank in the cab and am not sure on the best way to go about it. If i just take it out, what do i need to do to the rear tank so i can still have a fuel gauge?
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Deleting in cab gas tank

Post by SteveC »

you might try reading here http://www.fordification.com/fuel-tank01.htm as far as having the gauge there are wiring diagrams here or Myself or Thunderfoot could try to walk you trough it
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

:thup:
so it looks like i need to find a tank that has a sending unit in it, and swap it with mine.
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

lmc truck also has a replacement sending unit. THough mine quit working from them....pretty sure though that its cause my float came off im currently trying to drain the tank by driving it so i can pull the unit
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

i just got one of there catalogs, ill have to take a look. Thanks
Gunz

Post by Gunz »

The in-cab fuel tank sending unit is still available from Ford.

The part number was changed years ago to D7TZ9275G / Fits: 1961/77 / MSRP: $101.18 / There are Ford dealers with websites that give a 25% discount on this part.

The sending unit for the optional factory 25 gallon auxillary tank introduced in 1967 (used thru 1972) sending unit is obsolete, but I located a few around the US at several dealers.

The part number for the under bed auxillary fuel tank sending unit is D0TZ9275D.

NOTE: The factory underbed auxillary tank's fuel filler neck protruds thru the left quarter panel BELOW the bumpside between the cab and the leading edge of the rear fender.

If the auxillary tank's neck is located anywhere else on 1967/72's, the tank is not a factory tank.

All 1957/79 Ford cars/trucks fuel tank sending units use the SAME float: C0AZ9202B. It's still available from Ford as are the gaskets for the sending units.
Last edited by Gunz on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / Part Number Research ~ 1928/2002 / Obsolete Parts Search

1963 Galaxie 500XL / 1965 F100 8' Styleside (original owner) / 2008 Ford Fusion
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

dont forget that the filler was located differentlly on 67-69 than the 70-72
http://www.fordification.com/fuel-tank01.htm

1967 f-100 4x4
Gunz

Re: re: Deleting in cab gas tank

Post by Gunz »

SteveC wrote:dont forget that the filler was located differentlly on 67-69 than the 70-72
Sorry, that is in-correct, all the factory filler necks were installed below the bumpside on all 1967/72 F100/350's...every last one of them...and the parts catalog proves it.

Look here: 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog / Illustration / Section 90 / Page 23.

That pic you posted the link to, shows a filler neck for an aftermarket auxillary tank mounted above the bumpside. It's not the Ford setup.

Why would Ford change the location? All the quarter panels are the same 1967/72. These tanks were only available factory installed.

Because aftermarket companies offered auxillary tanks for these trucks, the filler neck location has caused confusion since the mid 1960's.

Most of the aftermarket tanks are mounted OUTSIDE the left frame rail...the factory tank is mounted inside the left frame rail.

My 1971 Ranger XLT had the optional auxillary tank with the filler below the bumpside, I bought the truck brand new.

See my sig...I was a Ford partsman from 1962 thru midyear 1997, so I know what the heck I'm talking about.

I've been on this site less than 24 hours and I've already seen two different mistakes in the "Did you know feature."

Well...I do know, and that factory filler neck fits below the bumpside PERIOD.
Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / Part Number Research ~ 1928/2002 / Obsolete Parts Search

Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

Why get rid of your incab tank?
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

Gunz wrote:
SteveC wrote:dont forget that the filler was located differentlly on 67-69 than the 70-72
Sorry, that is in-correct, all the factory filler necks were installed below the bumpside on all 1967/72 F100/350's...every last one of them...and the parts catalog proves it.

Look here: 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog / Illustration / Section 90 / Page 23.

That pic you posted the link to, shows a filler neck for an aftermarket auxillary tank mounted above the bumpside. It's not the Ford setup.

Why would Ford change the location? All the quarter panels are the same 1967/72. These tanks were only available factory installed.

Because aftermarket companies offered auxillary tanks for these trucks, the filler neck location has caused confusion since the mid 1960's.

Most of the aftermarket tanks are mounted OUTSIDE the left frame rail...the factory tank is mounted inside the left frame rail.

My 1971 Ranger XLT had the optional auxillary tank with the filler below the bumpside, I bought the truck brand new.

See my sig...I was a Ford partsman from 1962 thru midyear 1997, so I know what the heck I'm talking about.

I've been on this site less than 24 hours and I've already seen two different mistakes in the "Did you know feature."

You are mistaken.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Gunz wrote:

Might want to be a little less cocksure about things like that in the future. If you don't feel something is correct use some humility and respect.

Kieth (the owner of this great site) is VERY good about being sure his information is accurate. That, and many of us here have owned dozens and dozens of these trucks, nut and bolt restored them, driven them for hundreds of thousands of miles and know a thing or two about them.

It's common knowledge that the 67-79 aux. fillers are in a different location than the 70-72 fillers.

There are countless differences between the 67-69 and 70-72 trucks. A book could be written on all the differences.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

:yt: we all have respect here and keep open minded on everything...

I have found Ford information (some diagrams) to be incorrect...
I have a 69 with the tank mounted inside the left frame rail with all factory looking switch, gauge, etc but the filler is above the body line... :dk: All the after thought mounted ones on the outside of the frame I have seen have the add on fuel door on the side instead of the filler neck out in the open like stock. :2cents:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
Gunz

Post by Gunz »

Redcap wrote:
Gunz wrote:

You are mistaken.
I am not = you are!

Look in the parts catalog...there's the correct set up. I listed the ref above.

Look at the FACTORY photos (not the ones taken at some truck show) of 1970/72 F100/350's in the STANDARD CATALOG OF LIGHT DUTY FORD TRUCKS / Notice anything?

You won't see one Ford ID number on those aftermarket tanks, hoses, sender, filler neck, etc...and the fuel sending units are completly different.

The floats are larger than the one Ford used from 1957 thru 1979 on everything, and there's no plastic meshed filter screen (DIAZ-9A011-A) on the pickup tube itself.

1973 and later, just like 1967/72, the under bed fuel tank necks are mounted in the same general location.

On 1973/79's, they are below the dentside.

There are different types of these aftermarket auxillary tanks, and Ford never installed any auxillary tank on the passenger side...if you look at some of these filler necks that are mounted above the bump side, you'll see a twin on the passenger side. Two tanks were called saddle tanks..again, not something Ford ever did.

I am sure of what I type because I use parts catalogs as verification.

And while there are errors, in this case, there are not.

I've been in the car hobby since 1956, and was a Ford partsman for 35 years, and I know these 1967/72 trucks far better than most ppl, because I bought two brand new (1968/1971).

QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

My '69 Ranger and my '68 Ranger parts truck both have the inside the frame, 25 gal., factory installed auxillary tank and the filler neck on both of them is above the beltline. I had a '70 parts truk and the filler on that was below the beltline.
The tank, skidplate, sending unit. valve and guage switch are the same on all the trucks. I took the sending unit from the '70 and put it in my '69. The only thing I could see different was the piece inside the bed that covers the filler hose.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
Gunz

Post by Gunz »

I'm an in your face kind of person...sorry, but that's my style.

After spending years on the net correcting other ppls perception of what Ford did and didn't do...I have very little patience left.

My apologies.
Last edited by Gunz on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.