Stalling issue on take off. [REPOST BY ADMIN]

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Stalling issue on take off. [REPOST BY ADMIN]

Post by FORDification »

Sorry guys! I was doing some testing of an error message and accidentally deleted this thread from the database. I noticed it immediately, however, so I was able to hit the 'Back' button on my browser and retrieve the posts. Here are the posts that got deleted:
green68250 wrote:Hey guys,
I just got the 390 back in my '68 F-250 last weekend and got it running. Now whenever I slam on the gas from a stop she dies. I installed a pertronix kit, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Set the timing 6 degrees BTDC. She runs great on the open road. Once moving I can slam on it and she taked of like a mad man. Any ideas? The carb is a reman with around 2,000 miles on it. It did this before I did all of the upgrades but not quite as bad. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Corbin
Dragon wrote:What kind of carb. When my truck is hot, with a Holley 4v, and I start it after a hot soak it will smoke and stink of gas but what is worse the next attempt to give it gas will kill the engine. After that it is fine.
green68250 wrote:Its an autolite 2100 2bbl. It idles great. I can give it all the gas I want and snap the throttle and it doesn't die. When I power brake it she stumbles a bit and usually dies when I try and break the tires loose.
Dragon wrote:Replace the Accel pump on the bottom front of the carb or adjust the lever closer to the body of the carb.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
green68250

re: Stalling issue on take off. [REPOST BY ADMIN]

Post by green68250 »

I wondered what happened. Thanks for putting it back up Keith, you da man! Anyway, its a reman carb so the accelerator pump should be good I will, however, try moving the linkage in to the next notch on the accelerator pump and see what that does. Just curious, why would moving the linkage like that help the stalling? I'm trying to learn as much about carburetors as possible because the automotive program I am in doesn't teach us about carbs.

Thanks again for your help.
Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
LUB69F100

Post by LUB69F100 »

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack the idiot upside the head.
I child-proofed my house.....but they STILL get in!
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Stalling issue on take off. [REPOST BY ADMIN]

Post by Thunderfoot »

Changing the lever closer to the body of the carb for the Accel changes how much / fast it gives the accelerator shot of gas...
I would also try bumping your timing up to between 8-10 deg and see if that helps. 6 deg is pretty low for todays fuels... :2cents:

To bad they don't cover Carburetors in your class. :o to old school these days I guess... :roll:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
RedneckTexan
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Stalling issue on take off. [REPOST BY ADMIN]

Post by RedneckTexan »

FORDification wrote:Sorry guys! I was doing some testing of an error message and accidentally deleted this thread from the database. I noticed it immediately, however, so I was able to hit the 'Back' button on my browser and retrieve the posts. Here are the posts that got deleted:
green68250 wrote:Hey guys,
I just got the 390 back in my '68 F-250 last weekend and got it running. Now whenever I slam on the gas from a stop she dies. I installed a pertronix kit, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Set the timing 6 degrees BTDC. She runs great on the open road. Once moving I can slam on it and she taked of like a mad man. Any ideas? The carb is a reman with around 2,000 miles on it. It did this before I did all of the upgrades but not quite as bad. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Corbin
Dragon wrote:What kind of carb. When my truck is hot, with a Holley 4v, and I start it after a hot soak it will smoke and stink of gas but what is worse the next attempt to give it gas will kill the engine. After that it is fine.
green68250 wrote:Its an autolite 2100 2bbl. It idles great. I can give it all the gas I want and snap the throttle and it doesn't die. When I power brake it she stumbles a bit and usually dies when I try and break the tires loose.
Dragon wrote:Replace the Accel pump on the bottom front of the carb or adjust the lever closer to the body of the carb.
This is how Keith is guuna cut down on posts! :evil:
John

68 F-100~68 F-350~69 F-250~69 F-100
76 F-150~78 bronco~78 bronco

http://oldfordcrewcabs.com/