Voltage verification

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

BMJs 67

Voltage verification

Post by BMJs 67 »

I know I've seen it in a post here or at another Ford Truck forum but I can't put a cursor on it right now. The voltage in question is at the coil.
I have a 67 with a 390 in it. The motor is not stock and the PO had done some wonderful wiring modifications at some point. Long story short, I put a Pertrinix in it 4 or 5 months ago. It seems to run well. There is a little hesitation just off idle, not enough to really bug me, but it raises a flag. I put a re-man Holley 2 barrel on it and adjusted the timing but the hesitation is still there. We got to talking about resistor wires and ballast resistors at work and I realized that I never checked voltage at the coil after the mods to the distributor. I checked it tonight, it is running at
11.7 volts idling, with the tester leads at the + side of the coil and a good ground. I think it should be at 14.7? If so, How far back does the resistor wire run from the coil?
Daily driver:
67 2WD, 390ci
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Voltage verification

Post by Thunderfoot »

Sorry no one answered this sooner... :roll:
The voltage at the coil with the stock resistive wire should be 6-9V... The resistive part of the wire is inside the truck from the ignition switch to the firewall connector. The wire in the engine compartment is not resistive...
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399