302 question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

302 question

Post by 69F110 »

Okay, forgive my ignorance. But my question is this: Can I convert an EFI 302 to a carbuerated set-up?

Background- the 71 I got has a 302, original. I have a 302 EFI out of a 93 Mustang GT... is it possible to convert the EFI one?

I am a complete novice and have no clue. The only thing I have going for me is a willingness to jump in and do it.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
green1970

Post by green1970 »

you sure can convert it to a carburated set up...just get a new intake and then a carburetor...i think you have to change the cam to, but im not too sure...im not a genius on EFI, but it would get better fuel mileage if you left that on, i think you just have to wire up the computer for the fuel infection.. i hope i have helped some
tyler
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: 302 question

Post by td »

you don't have to change the cam. put your intake and carb and timing cover (timing cover has port for your fuel pump) on the mustang motor and put it back in your truck the same way yours came out. if the mustang was a 5 speed you will have to buy a diffreent flywheel for it. you'll just ask for a flywheel with the same amout of teeth as the one on yours now and is correct for whatever year model the mustang motor is. if the mustang was an auto the fly wheel may still not be the same size as the one that is on your truck now. to simplify what im saying you need a flywheel that will correctly balance the 302 out of the mustang and that the same size as your truck 302 has on it now.
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Thanks...I was thinking I could do it...just needed the direction to go.
Steve Davis

td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: 302 question

Post by td »

also check to see if both motors have the same amount of bolts holding the crank pulley on. 1970 and up (i think) have 4 bolts and pre 70 have 3. mabe someone will chime in and verify that. point being if there different you wont be able to use you trucks pulleys.(assuming the mustang has serpentine pulleys).
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: re: 302 question

Post by 69F110 »

td wrote:also check to see if both motors have the same amount of bolts holding the crank pulley on. 1970 and up (i think) have 4 bolts and pre 70 have 3. mabe someone will chime in and verify that. point being if there different you wont be able to use you trucks pulleys.(assuming the mustang has serpentine pulleys).

Thanks...I'll check it out.
Steve Davis