HELP!!!! 390 won't start

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

marine6212

HELP!!!! 390 won't start

Post by marine6212 »

This truck has sat in the desert for 10+ yrs. I have replaced every ignition and fuel item. I tried to start the truck today and all it does is back fire through the exhaust or carb. What am I missing here guys? I have double checked the firing order. I have it right. Held my finger over the #1 plug hole and turned the engine by hand till piston as at TDC. Its getting plenty of fuel from pump!!

Some one please help me!!!!

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
LUB69F100

Post by LUB69F100 »

My first thought was timing issue.

I KNOW someone here will give ya a more detailed troubleshoot list

Lub
Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack the idiot upside the head.
I child-proofed my house.....but they STILL get in!
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Is #1 top dead center on compression stroke or intake stroke. You could be 180 degrees out on the distributor.
Pull #1 plug, use a remote starter switch (dead man) across the starter (battery side to S terminal) solenoid. With your finger in covering the #1 spark plug hole, bump the engine over. When you feel hard compression stop, you should be very close to tdc compression. Line up timing marks and recheck your distributor position.

If distributor is correct then I would be looking at fuel. The carb may be very lean.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: HELP!!!! 390 won't start

Post by AlleyCat »

Something else that can cause it is wrong cylinder order. #1 is the first cylinder on the front of the right hand bank ( as viewed from the driver's seat). Cylinders are numbered 1 thru 4 on the right bank 5 thru 8 on the left bank.

:)
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
green68250

Post by green68250 »

Also make sure that your firing order is going counter clockwise on the distributor. I had mine going clockwise and it back fired out of the carb and shot a 6 foot flame
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
marine6212

Post by marine6212 »

:clap: :clap: I finally got the old girl to start :clap: :clap: the distributor was 180 out. I had a buddy come over and help me.. I rebuilt the carb 2 months ago and it would not accelerate so I replaced it with another carb I had (manual choke one) went out today to fire it up and it wouldn't fire off :cry: poured a little gas down the carb and it would just back fire thru the carb and catch on fire :doh: :oops: I let it set for a few minutes and tried again. had to hold the starter over and it finally started. had to feather the gas pedal a little. SOO I jumped in it and tried to go to the store in it and it just wont get up and go. I can push the pedal all the way down to the floor and it sounds like its bogging down!! couldn't get above 5 MPH in 2nd gear... what should I look at or replace?

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
suavematt

Post by suavematt »

... Have ya replaced All your fuel-Filters??? :doh: I once pretty much rebuilt the top-end of my 72' Stang's old 302 & bought a intake/carb'/ignition system & everything only to find it was a flippin' fuel-filter that was killin' my junk :doh: :doh: :doh: about a $2.50-$5 piece that coulda saved this "genius" about $1200 .... :wink: But I was kinda lookin' for a reason to Mod' it up a lil' at the time any how. :2cents: Later.

~ 8) Suave'
Name's Matt. I'm a southern' Boy with a love for the Lord & Carb'd Ford V8's hahaha... Anything else you wanna know... Ask ; )

1979 F-100 Super-Cab/Long-Bed Work-Truck [300 I6, C4, Ford 9" Rear]
1993 Ford Ranger, single-cab short-bed [2.3L 4-banger, 5spd trans, 7.5 rear... Full-time Convertable ; ) ]
1972 Ford Mustang [351-Cleve' (being built, still workin' on it), C4 auto, Ford 9" Rear]