Dual transmissions?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

snooziums

Dual transmissions?

Post by snooziums »

I was wondering if anyone actually thought about installing dual transmissions, or if anyone actually did that?

I have been having wild thoughts about mating another transmission to the back of the one I have, since the back of what I have used to go into a transfer case.
200ci inline-six, three-on-the-tree (No truck :cry:)
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Dual transmissions?

Post by heep70 »

NO, but they is such thing as T-Case doubling to get a lower range for rock crawling.

The was or maybe still is a Dana 21 T-case on ebay.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

old school big rigs use a browning transmission hooked behind the main tranny. either 2 or 4 speeds were available
snooziums

Post by snooziums »

Okay, so that leads me to another question. The transmission I have bolts up to a Bronco transfer case (I have no clue as to what year). Do the 4wd F-series use the same transfer case? I have heard that the Hyboys may not work, however I thought that all 4wd F-series were Hyboys, until I was told my another member that there were some with "D.T.C" (thanks for some of the help, wapackrat.

So how many setups were there, and which ones will work? I showed pictures of the back end of my transmission on an other post, and I know that it bolts to the bell-housing I have, and I am not sure what else will bolt up to that bell-housing.

So much confusion.
200ci inline-six, three-on-the-tree (No truck :cry:)
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

All F250 (Highboys) have NP435/T18 & devorced T-cases. All F100s were married (I believe). As far as I know they used Dana 21 single speeds and 205 dual range t-cases.

As far as what exactly bolts up to yours I am not real positive. What t-case was on it?
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

As far as the "old school" big trucks go, they used 2, 3, and 4 speed aux transmissions, and most of the mains back then were 4 or 5 speed with some 6 speeds out there. Some were "married" cases (usually Mack) and some were not. The big thing there was that the main box was a wide ratio, and the aux is a close ratio, so you could "split" the gears in the main. The first "B" model Mack I ever drove had a triplex (5 speed main, 3 speed aux) and a 2 speed box behind that, so there was a bit of overkill there for sure.
I've seen small trucks and even pickups with aux transmissions in them, and Brownlipe and Spicer used to make some pretty nice 3 speed smaller transmissions.. some had an overdrive and some were 3rd direct... but they're tough to find and expensive when you do!
Just my :2cents:
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
Rockcrusher

Post by Rockcrusher »

Dual transmissions have been done . . . Both Auto+manual and manual+manual. The major consideration is selecting a rear gearbox that will handle the multiplied torque from the front box. The second consideration would be mating the output and input shafts of the 2 boxes.

There was a thread on Pirate 4X4 about married GM SM465's (complete with pictures). Do a search in the General 4X4 section.

I also vaguely remember seeing a writeup on married Ford 3.03 3 speeds. If memory serves me correctly it was done by a guy from up in Canadia
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Here's a great little video from our own "freightrain" aka Larry (member here!) driving his B model Mack, working 2 sticks... he does a good job! Worth a look.
John H.

http://fords.kilonet.org/freightrain/bmodel.wmv
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

heep70, thanks for the real info. I knew it was something like that but couldnt find the info I was looking for at the time. as always a little teamwork gets the right info out there!