windlace or cowl lacing

Moderator: FORDification

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

windlace or cowl lacing

Post by dotcentral »

I had tacked this onto an earlier thread, but didn't get a reply. I will repost with hope that someone that knows can help out.

Windlace, or cowl lacing, or whatever youo want to call the rubber or vinyl strip that closes the gap between the hood and the upper firewall/cab area.

Which way is up? Does it mount like a "L", or flipped around 180 degrees, like an upside down "L"?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
crazy larry

re: windlace or cowl lacing

Post by crazy larry »

like an L but backwards. horizontal edge down clipped edge to the firewall :doh: but the other edge goes to the bottom.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Larry, I don't follow what your saying.

I have a 70, with the 70 windlace. Clips are preinstalled.

It can only go one of two ways. Does the horizontal piece go above the clips, mounted high, so to speak. Or is the horizontal piece mounted below the clips, or low?

Sounds like you're saying the horizontal piece is low? I only get 1 chance to mount this, then it's in there. Don't think it can come out without tearing it up.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Good question. My truck is not where I can check the old one but I thought
it would be like a 7 against the cowl horizontal piece(hood would shut against it ) above the clips. I'm not sure but I wanna say that is how I remember it?
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

horizontal piece is low. like this-> L
:wink:
Larry

Fotoes
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I struggled with this as well but ended up believing it should be the opposite of the Larry method. i.e. the horizontal surface up. I think it makes more sense to have the flat surface up as it's supposed to keep the water out of the engine area. Anyhow, here are a couple of photos of mine.
jor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Mine's the same as Jor's on my '70... or at least it was :eek: ... the flat is gone to that great deteriorated rubber land in the sky :pray: , but I can still see where it used to be.. still have the vertical piece all the way across.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

:doh:

No wonder i never win any shows. my damn cowl lace is upside down! :eek:
Larry

Fotoes
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

:lol: :lol:

Well, at least now ya know, right? :wink: To be honest with you, I didn't know either, so I was closely monitoring this thread to see what the general concensus was. I learned something new here too. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Thanks for the pics. I've decided not to put mine on until the hood goes back on. I removed it to pull the engine, and wouldn't want to damage the cowl lace getting the hood reinstalled.

I had called Dennis Carpenter & the guy that's supposed to be the expert on 67-72's was at lunch. He called back & got my machine & I couldn't figure out what he said. Everytime I called after that he was either out or with a customer.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Jor's is correct, the horizontal flat side goes up, like an upsidedown 'L'.
Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

Yes Jor's is correct ,flat side up or upside down "L" .I also picked up the D.C. cowl lacing for my Merc and was interested which way it goes .Lucky for me the truck is unmolested and still has a lot of the original rubber and seal parts still in place (or whats left of some ) and so I can tell from whats left which way it goes .Here's a picture of the motor area to show I still have some left.
If you guys do need any info as to where seals and stuff should go or how it should look feel free to E-Mail me and I will check and if possible try to get a photo to show how it was ...or whats left of it :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Name : Craig
Truck : 1968 Mercury M100 Custom Factory Ordered 360 v8 , Cruise-0-Matic, Camper Special leaf & Spring Package .
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

well now i don't have to ask :lol:!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Today I received a 1967 cowl lacing w/s and clips I had ordered for a friends truck. The Dennis Carpenter catalog shows a 67 only (Picture attached),68-69 ( I have not seen) and the 70-72 ( I have purchased for my truck but not here now for photo) I have wondered what the differences are? This 67 cowl lacing has much larger clips and feels thicker/stiffer than what I remember from the 70-72 style I have for my truck. The 70-72 style also has the clips build in the lacing this 67 style has predrilled holes. I will add a better photo of the 70-72 style for comparison when I can get to the lacing as it is at another location. If someone can look /compare a 67 cab to a later cab and see if the holes for the lacing mounting is visibly larger or different. Hope this helps someone? I always wondered what the difference was?
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'll be at the shop on Sunday, I'll compare the holes spacing and size between my '67 and '68 cabs.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!