T-85 OVERDRIVE?!? WORTH ANYTHING? HOWS IT WORK?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

OLEYELLERTRUCK

T-85 OVERDRIVE?!? WORTH ANYTHING? HOWS IT WORK?

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

JUST BOUGHT A PILE OF PICK-UP PARTS AND INCLUDED WAS A T-85 TRANS AND A 69 STEPSIDE THAT IT ORIGINALLY CAME FROM. HOW DOES THIS THING WORK? ARE THEY ANY GOOD? DOES ANYONE NEED ONE? NEW TO ME. THANKS!
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: T-85 OVERDRIVE?!? WORTH ANYTHING? HOWS IT WORK?

Post by Redcap »

Is it a 5-speed OD set up for a FE? If so, I'd love to get my hands one one of those.
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

I think the T-85 is a regular 3 spd tranny with overdrive. Side linkage and there is a large pop can size item on the side of tranny(towards tailhousing). That is the overdrive solenoid.

They are a good tranny, long lasting for the most part. Not really a high horsepower type set up, but if you want fuel mileage....
There is electrical parts that are also part of this set up, plus a steel cable that goes into cab. It's the "lockout" cable to keep it from shifing into overdrive.

I have one of these trannies, but it's from my '64 Galaxie.
Bump'n along.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have one I am planning on putting behind the 390 in my crewcab. I would like to have a spare but the freigth on one would be a killer. If you decide to part it out I could use a spare solenoid for sure. These trannys do have a bit of a following and you see some guys asking $300 for them (chevy ones anyway) at swap meets, but those usually don't sell. Warner gear made them for everyone and the solenoids and many other parts interchange between all the car makers of the 50s and 60s. Keep in mind these freewheel in overdrive, as in coast with no engine holding you back and also will roll away if you don't set the brake unlees you follow some precautions.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

hi, I have a '69 stepside, 302, just wondering if you were going to sell the t-85 with overdrive? Thanks, Ron
Heyyyyyyyyyy, keep 'em cool, keep 'em on the road!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Ran across this some time ago. Check out this site: http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/e ... /drive.htm

Some like the T85 for projects having low rear ends.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Hey that's some good info. A few little mistakes though. He said the outputshaft doesn't turn when it's freewheeling. The output shaft has to turn, it's hooked to the rear end. Also he seemed a little confused about what was in OD or not. Basically good info for anyone wanting to know more about these trannys.
I was told by an old timer who rebuilds them that it can take heavy towing behind a healthy 390, no problem. You will need to leave the cable pulled out for compression braking.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.