Trying to figure out...

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

tazzman68

Trying to figure out...

Post by tazzman68 »

what my transmission is, my truck is a 67 2wd, w/ 352 and auto. I went to decode the door plate, and the trans code is a G which translates to "Automatic"......well duh, :lol: I kinda had that figured out. Does anyone know anything about this mystical "automatic" transmission?
Oh, BTW, GREAT site! found more out about my truck in one day than I have in the whole week and a half I've had it. Looking forward to knowing everyone.
-ED-
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Trying to figure out...

Post by BigRedTruck »

well...most seem to be c-6 transmissions beyond that look at the pan on the transmission....a c-4 should be squareish. if there is a sort of bend in on one corner its probably a c-6 . the others know more than I
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Well my book says Automatic (C-4) which is a little confusing since the only V8 in 67 was a 352 and as far as I know (or thought I knew) the C-4 was never tooled to fit behind an FE engine. Maybe I was wrong.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

i'm mostl likely wrong...it may not have been original but it seems like at least one person here was running a c-4
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If the bell housing bolts to the tranny you have a C-4. If the bell housing is integral with the tranny you most likely have a C-6.
I doubt you have a C-4 unless someone put in an aftermarket bell housing. A C-6 would be more likely.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

It may be an MX. which I'm told is kinda like a heavy duty FMX.

I think we had a thread on it in the last month or so.

Putting a C4 behind an FE takes an expensive aftermarket bell housing. Ford never did it.

(Now that I said never watch someone come up with some obscure concept car that had one :( )

Anyway probably an MX, they seem to have been moderately common in 67.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

It's a MX transmission, a heavy duty version of the FMX.

Easy way to tell, the case is made of cast iron, all the other automatics have an aluminum case.