overdrive?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

overdrive?

Post by BigRedTruck »

in lmc trucks...(i think it was) i saw a over drive can i put this in?
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
Jobless

Re: overdrive?

Post by Jobless »

BigRedTruck wrote:in lmc trucks...(i think it was) i saw a over drive can i put this in?
You are looking for an overdrive for your C6?

These guys make one

http://www.c6-c4.com/#C6%20Level%203
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: overdrive?

Post by BigRedTruck »

yeah didn't think much of it till i was driving in my camry and noticed overdrive was on...and i turned it off and gas milage plummeted...i'm thinking this might improve its milage too.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
DirtyJim

Post by DirtyJim »

Sheesh...2200 bucks and I dont even have a C6 tranny in my 72 F100. I suppose Id have to pay the extra 1300 bucks to have them make me one for my 360FE. Figuring the estimated 30 percent fuel savings with todays gas prices at roughly 2 bucks a gallon and the fact that I put 64 miles a day on a truck that gets about 10 miles to the gallon, the whole combination should pay for itself in 2 years time; driving it 5 days a week. My wife would say its socially irresponsible to drive a vehicle that uses this much fuel just because I like it :roll:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Jim,

What transmission do you have? Gear Vendors makes overdrives for several transmissions.

http://www.gearvendors.com/
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

what i saw looked a bit like the neutral safety switch and cost around 60.....wow thats like.....a new truck i could buy a truck with one in it for less.... thats going to take some time. just looked up the overdrive thing....it was just the switch
Last edited by BigRedTruck on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Here's a link to were I spoke of the 700R4 before,It also has a link to look at the pic. of what you'll be getting so you can adapt it to the FE.

My post is the 6th one down:
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2697#2697

This is a link to there wedsite and the FE kit is about 2/3rd's the way down the page.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

in this month's custom classic trucks there is a article on gear vendor's....off to read...
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Yea, hard to say about the MPG, but probably couldn't hurt being I turn
about 3k for 70 mph in either truck. The 74 has a 3.70, but it's also got
smaller tires, so it should be about even with the 68 as far as revs.
I think to really make a difference as far as gas, I'd have to really drop
the rpm's down pretty low. Like the 1800-2200 range...But might not be a drastic change on the six bangers...The part that keeps me hopeful it might help, is the sixes have a lot of torque at those low rpms, so hopefully could run without excessive lugging.. My 68 gets pretty good mpg, if you keep the revs down low. I haven't done a strict comparison, but my 240 doesn't really seem to do much better on gas than the 300. It is smoother at high revs though, due to the shorter stroke I guess...The 240 sounds more comfortable doing 3k at 70, than the 300. It's max power is rated at 4000 instead of the 300's 3600. So for now, I kind of consider the 74 the highway truck, and use the 68 more for my in town work truck. The 68's 4.10 gear and T-18 is perfect for the city. I can get off the traffic lights pretty quick for a heavy truck with a six banger. 8)
If anything, the lower rpm's would reduce some engine wear... :wink:
MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

One onther option is USGear's manual dual-range OD www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm . A friend of mine put it in his Chebby and is very happy with it. He got it at a local USGear dealer for about $1,200.

He says it shifts like a two-speed rearend with the familiar "clunk".
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: overdrive?

Post by dotcentral »

F-100Ranger wrote:One onther option is USGear's manual dual-range OD. A friend of mine put it in his Chebby and is very happy with it. He got it at a local USGear dealer for about $1,200.
Was that just for the unit? The web site shows pices around 2,200 and up.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

He tells me he bought a remanufactured unit with full warranty thru a dealer in Cranberry PA. He's been pulling his race car with it for a year now with no problems. I plan to stop by to check it out. I'll give a report of what I find.
prostreetf100

Post by prostreetf100 »

lentech has a aod for the fe series engines that will handle alot of torque and horsepower. i can tell you from experience that i have had to replace alot more messed up 700r4 than ford aod's. we have only had to rebuild one aod that lost third gear in a mustang that had a blown 302 that produced 440+ horse at the tires and was daily driven and raced every weekend. i think that lentech's price is right around $2500.00.