Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Rust, rust and more rust

Post by Heirloom »

It's more about learning and doing. A cab swap would be too easy and circumventes my real reasons for doing this. Originality is of no concern. I don't mind doing the work and its better I learn on a junk cab. Later I can build another, better truck and look for a solid body to start, or at least one with areas that are easy fixes compared to what I'm doing now. Because I jumped in and attempted some of the hardest repairs, that will only make repairing more conventional stuff seem like a breeze. :D At least in theory.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

well your right it is, your theory is correct.
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Nothing like a little father-son bonding. That WAS awesome!
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I have not done anything with my truck in the last week other than use it. But I have been busy on some other Fords. I little while back I shared some pics of a 73 Gran Torino Sport my neighbor has. Since that post I have got it running and driving. The thing is a beast (408ci) and we haven't even laid into it yet. The owner just bought new tires all the way around (Cooper Cobra's) and has been having upholstery work done. Meanwhile we have been working out the bugs (and rats) from it's sitting for so long. All the lights now function. It's coming together.

Also, I have begun putting together another truck, mostly from all the spare stuff around here. The body is a 76 step side, the frame a 69. It will receive the NP435 that is currently in my 68 truck. Engines to choose from are two 360's, a 90 5.0 GT, a 390 or potentially build and install the 351M I have. Right now it has 1/2 ton front suspension just so it is a roller. It will get lifted 3/4 ton beams to go with the massive Dana 70 in the rear. I have hoods, fenders, inner fenders...most everything except a core support. Junkyard trip soon....Ecology is having 1/2 price days on July 6 & 7.

Happy Sunday to all!!

~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

You are aware the dent cab is longer than a bump correct? I believe it is 2". This will leave you with either shortening the bed or lengthening the frame unless you see a different solution. I guess you could move the bed back & then relocate the fenders.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I was aware, and have not decided on a course of action yet. Thanks for looking out! I want to get it mocked up in place so I can get a better overall idea of options and figure it out. The dent frame is longer between the cab mounts and rear axle center than a bump frame. What ever happens, it will be custom!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Alstoyz »

When I installed my SWB 72 body on my SWB 77 4x4 chassis all the cab mounts were the same, the wheel base was the same, but the frame rails, extended beyond the back of the bed by roughly 3-4 inches. Then I put a '72 F100 LWB body on a '79 F350 4x4 LWB chassis (Greg Morton's new toy). The cab bolted directly to the frame, but the rear axle was moved 2" forward to line up in the wheel well. The frame extended beyond the bed by about 2"... :thup:
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks for sharing your experiences with swaps! Just from looking at it, it looks like I'll be moving the fender a little and either modifying or deleting the step. I won't know if I'll need to trim frame until later, but suspect I will have to. That potentially complicates pushing the rear cross member back for fuel tank installation. I'm not there yet though.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

im liking that Torino, if he doesnt know already, send him to www.fordmuscleforum.com.
ive gotten sooo much help on my fairlanes there.
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

He doesn't have internet, not sure he would know how to use it if he did. But thanks for the link, I'll be using it :)
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Truck is looking good Josh. When do you plan on the 400 swap happening? By the way those rockers will not work with your engine. Your best bet is to box them up & send them to me for disposal. I will send you a set of factory rockers that you can use. We can work out the shipping matter & I figure the set of rockers for set of rockers should just be a straight across swap. After all I am going to have to "dispose" of your set.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

elgemcdlf wrote:Truck is looking good Josh. When do you plan on the 400 swap happening? By the way those rockers will not work with your engine. Your best bet is to box them up & send them to me for disposal. I will send you a set of factory rockers that you can use. We can work out the shipping matter & I figure the set of rockers for set of rockers should just be a straight across swap. After all I am going to have to "dispose" of your set.

Thank you and....

Thanks. Now I have to pop all the keys off my keyboard to clean up the coffee I just sprayed! I'll have to pass, as tempting as those stock rockers are....

It's not going to be a swap so much as a complete tear down and rebuild of the truck. After this coming week things are going to be really quite for me (except for keeping up the farm) and I am going to completely disassemble the '68 and over the following two weeks strip and paint it...well, that's the hope at least. It may take another month or four after that to get it back to driving status with the new motor and tranny, upholstery, wiring etc. I have, as we all do, a long list of odds and ends needed to complete it that I'm chipping away at. That takes money, and money is time and vise versa. I just got the valve covers so I CAN run those rockers. Need a new timing cover, oil pan, push rods, air cleaner and some hardware to finish the engine. I still have not gone down to UFO (a MASSIVE upholstery supply house here) to look at upholstery fabrics and hardware/trim. I also need to go to TCP Global and pick up primer, sealer, pin stripe brushes/paint and clear. I have not bought the parts to rebuild the core C6 I have. Time and money my friend.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I said things were going to be quiet....WRONG!!!!

As nice a being mired in (paying) work is.... I just want some 'alone time' with my truck if you know what I mean. I haven't done anything to it in well over a month except use it. But I did get an opportunity to do a MPG check. I managed 11mpg over a 56 mile trip hauling 100 bundles of fire wood half of it. I drove easy on the way to the delivery, then pretty quick on the way back. The day before that I lent it to my Uncle who also delivered 100 bundles . Over 80 miles of mountain hwy driving he got 9.5. Not to shabby out of a 360 with at least one lift/lobe issue.

Oh, and it sure is a comfy ride :D .
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Just a little note to say this project is not dead. I've been using the truck a lot. Up until a couple days ago that is when the steering box broke. Some time this next week I will be tearing into it and doing a PS conversion.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

The PS conversion is nearly done. All I need are lines, a belt and fluid. It feels nice and tight. I greased the entire front end while I was at it. Should be up and running tomorrow!! :woohoo: :D
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln