Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Center Console Build - Lot of pics!!

Post by Heirloom »

LANCE65 wrote::thup: That is turning out SWEET! Cant wait to see the final product!
Thank you Lance65. Prayers for your Son and Family :pray:
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Playing around in SketchUp......

~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Really cool colors! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Console is looking great, and I'm seriously loving that color scheme!
Cipher43

Post by Cipher43 »

Heirloom wrote:Playing around in SketchUp......

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Dang where did ya get the google sketch up file for that? Did you make it yourself?
Greg
My Toys
Image...... Image......Image......Image
......1969 F-100................1968 F-250...........................57 S-100 IHC................71 CL350, 73CL450

original 360, T18 tranny, 9" with 3.25s

Project Rejuvenate Bill
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=69060
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks Randy and MamaBear!

Cipher43 wrote:

Dang where did ya get the google sketch up file for that? Did you make it yourself?
It's downloadable in the SketchUp Communtity. Here's the file name:

1971_ford_F100_[Trigger].skp

I had to draw the lines for the color separation between blue/white, as well as the chevrons on the red stripe. I imported interior I had already drawn up and scaled it to size then positioned it. The original truck file had a cab high camper and a bench seat, but no dash. I figured no point in modeling the whole truck since there were about a dozen to work off of already available. The interior is partially modeled by me and partially downloaded. I downloaded the steering wheel (then modified it), shifter and the seats.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I’ve been working on rot patching here and there. I’m still, slowly, getting the roof done. The driver side is patched and filled. I probably have one more skim coat of Bondo then it should block out nice. I’m about 2/3 done with replacing metal on the passenger side.

My method went something like this. After cutting out a section to patch I vacuumed out all of the loose rust flake and scale I could get to. Then I wire wheeled and wire brushed everything and vacuumed more followed by more wire brushing WHILE vacuuming. Satisfied I got all the scale, flake and dust out I sprayed the entire area with brake cleaner. I then sprayed Eastwood rust encapsulator into the roof through the cut out. I sprayed from the inside towards the outside, coating the back sides of what I sprayed from the outside. I prep’d the metal edges for welding and welded the patch in. After grinding the welds smooth I sprayed the Eastwood over the entire patched area, inside and out. From there I started filling with Bondo. Here are some pics of the carnage. I’m doing my work in two passes. First cut, patch, and fill until its ‘close’. Then second I am going to go back over the whole body and finish up with skimming and blocking.

That last patch is partially welded in now. Let me tell you....jumping into doing what I’m doing with out much body work experience AT ALL will make you sink or swim. I think I’m treading water.

Once all of the patching is done I will tape up the gap between the roof skin and the headliner mount all the way around. With a couple small holes in the tape in the right areas I should be able to stick the 360 degree spray whip in and coat everything thoroughly. I can’t wait to try it out!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Rust, rust and more rust

Post by sargentrs »

That's a job I wouldn't want to tackle. Looks you're doing all the right things. Good work! I like how you're using the tape to make the template for cutting the patches. Great idea! I never would have thought of that.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks Randy. Yeah the tape idea occurred to me a long time ago, then I forgot it...then just re-discovered it. LOL.

The metal patching is not coming out as nice as I had hoped. But in my defense the issues I'm having are due to thin spots in the original metal. I cant, well, don't want to cut the seams apart and replace everything which would mean patching in pre-flanged pieces for the roof skin, drip rails and cab structure. So unfortunately the bottom edges of the patches are welded and filler rod filled as best I could get it them, then any holes left over I made sure to seal with the Eastwood spray inside and out....then body filler. The top edges and sides are welding into nice solid material, so I have been able to get a good fusion there. Mostly it leaves a slight depression that only requires a light fill. If you look at the pictures where the tape template is being peeled off, you can see just to the right of it the upper corner patch welded in. Not tooo bad for an amateur. I'm using an older Miller Syncrowave 180, no pulse (well, pulse by pedal) and no post weld gas flow control on this unit. The torch is an air cooled i-torch, short/stubby with flexible head. 3/32 red tungsten ground to a fine point and a #7 lens. If I ever sell the truck I will surely disclose this work as I would want to know about it. None the less, It will come out looking really good....I hope.

Anybody buy Argon lately???? Eeesh....I need to make some money with this bottle. It was 3x what I thought it would cost......$113 (plus tax)for a 200 bottle exchanged. :eek: :cry:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sounds like you know your welding. I'm an amateur mig tacker at best. However, my step son is a top notch tig/mid welder so I "volunteer" him when I need welding. I'll be looking to buy a decent mig welder before I start on my bed. You're doing some great work! Keep us updated.
Randy
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I do a lot of reading. My TIG skills are minimal, but getting better! :) Thanks!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
mcheath

Post by mcheath »

Wow, you are doing fabulous work here. Way way out of my league, you fabricating guys are impressive.

Those seats look really good in the cab.
pincheweddo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by pincheweddo »

Looking good! :thup: Nice talent on the center console. Looks like you have done that once or twice.
See project updates at:
http://1967f100.blogspot.com
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks guys! It's actually the first one I've ever attempted. I thought about it for a long while and watched YouTube video's and even episodes of West Coast Customs and OverHaulin' to glean as much as I could before diving in.

I drove it down to my Parents house yesterday, it's first real drive since putting the seats in. Very comfortable. I had the console in and bolted together but not bolted down. No front top panel though as I have the 4 speed stick in the way. It feels great, looks great and once everything is all finished it will be awesome. My Son was with me and on the way home we did a quick little off road blast near my house. The truck performed flawlessly, I felt secure in the seat, the console never moved and my Son was blown away that we could haul butt over choppy fields, slide around corners....and.....survive. He's 12. "That was AWESOME!"...."I think this truck would do good in a race!". LOL.

That's the magic of the twin I front. :thup: :D 8)
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

man heirloom :? i would just save up for different cab. but then it wouldnt be original :roll: keep up the good work. :thup:
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a