Low oil pressure

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Low oil pressure

Post by Jake11 »

Lookee at the pic's of the bearing shells. All the babbit's GONE. That ain't caused by a converter jammed in.
If ya jam a converter, the first thing that goes is the pump in the tranny. The gear splits in half. Then it tears
the front pump all to hell. Makes a loud screeching noise too. I have seen this. Semi-proffesional wrenches
R&Ring tranny's I built. Kinda annoying to see. After that happened, more than once, I did my own R&R's.
It only takes 15min. to slam a RWD unless it's a 4x4. Then another hour for all the nifty stuff they hang on.

Ok, the lifters. If the mains & rods are banging real good, you might not notice a lot of lifter noise. This thing
must have made a lot of noises before it finally went POOF. :P Jake
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

Ok jake let's be clear on some facts. I have had my truck for 11 years and I know my truck. It has always been a 4 quart engine. I have tried to put more oil into it and it goes way over full. The dipstick is the orginal factory dipstick. The engine never went poof it was running quite well when I pulled it about 2 weeks ago. In fact if you didn't look at the oil pressure guage, you would never know there was a problem. I pulled the engine all the way out and put it on the engine stand to do everything right. I haven't driven it or started it since, and I didn't drive it much after I identified the low oil pressure problem.
I don't have an auto. I have a 4 spd manual, I will fix sig to be clear. This problem started not to long ago so I would assume the trans or clutch was not the problem.
Bobby you are right about the thrust bearing as it was the rear side of the thrust bearing that was wearing into the crank. So it was pushing toward the front of the engine. The clutch and everything was new when I put in back in 99 when it was rebuilt. Flywheel is orginal and I had it machined then. Now that I am thinking about it my tranny, which is original, was missing the bolt holding it to the cross member when I pulled everything. That may have been enough to let it move foward just enough to push on the crank but not me notice it while I was driving. I can't think of anything else because I haven't done anything to the drive train since a reinstalled it all back in 99.
This whole oil pressure deal and the motor needing fixed has prompted me to start a frame up restoration, as my baby needed it. So I am going to either replace the whole motor or atleast replace all the bottom end with new parts in this motor (if I can salvage it).

I do want to thank you guys for all the help with this. I have come full circle on this problem beggining with no clue what so ever and now I have it solved.

BTW my camera is 9 mega pixil. I have to reduce eveything way down to load it to the web site so im sorry for that.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

I hope it all works out for ya. Best of luck, Jake