Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Clean, Paint, Assemble, Repeat.

Post by Heirloom »

Thank you, thank you!

I celebrated my B-Day by building up weld on the worn out teeth on my drivers window regulator, then grinding and filing them to shape so the window goes all the way up using the crank. I couldn't spend $70 on a new regulator. It only took me an hour tops. It's not the prettiest, but it works smoothly.

Oh and I finished painting the doors and upper front fill panel (latch area under the hood). I only have to spray blue on the fenders and they will be done. Got some wire loomed and the passenger door put on.

Fought with getting the windshield seal on the windshield. After and hour and only 12 inches I decided that an installer would be getting my call. No idea what the trick is, nor do I have the time to deal with it.

~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Stealth69

Post by Stealth69 »

With that radiator your heater will never work again I know my old 78 bronco and my 69 f250 didn't have working heaters ever again they are really really efficient. :D
'02 BMW 325xi

'69 Ford F250 C.S. Ranger 428 PI with gt 500 heads, racing c6, d60 3.73 limited slip, currently rat rod black (flat black) but going back factory Candy Apple Red / Wimbledon White
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Stealth69 wrote:With that radiator your heater will never work again I know my old 78 bronco and my 69 f250 didn't have working heaters ever again they are really really efficient. :D
LOL, I'm hoping that 400 will stay cool. I have the proper t-stat so circulation in the block will flow right. I have put three of these radiators in other trucks. Two Fords and a Toyota. Every one of them runs WAY cooler.
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Good work on that regulator, Josh. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks Randy :) I suppose I could have put a little more time and effort into it to make it even better, but....tick, tock..... maybe next time it comes out I will fix all the teeth and do a nicer job. It will get me across the country for now!

Today was a rain day, so on my 'day off' I took my Aunt down to 2 of my favorite stores, a hardware store and an electronics/electrical supply store. She's a hardware and 'stuff' addict and had a great time. I picked up several colors/gauges of wire I need, as well as some terminal strips, terminals, bullet connectors, split wire loom, a new plug pair for the gauge cluster and some other odds and ends at the electronics store. Then we went to an upholstery supply house and I got the materials needed to cover the seats, center console and headliner. Obviously I will be taking the materials with me and doing the upholstery in TN...no way that's getting done before! After that we went to the hardware store where I got some general use trim screws, some finish hardware for the console and two big handfuls of body bolts.

Now I'm sitting here Ebuying a bunch of misc stuff like 5/16 fender clips, blue silicone vacuum hose, SEM vinyl and plastic dye, stainless header studs and nuts....a bunch of that random, near the end, run up the bill another thousand bucks....stuff....
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

Nice job on regulator :thup: . Speaking of the window seal, i had the same trouble with my seal. that thing would just not go on the window. After spending too much time trying to install seal on window i did a little homework and found out the vendor had sent me the wrong seal. The bag it was in said it was for 67-72 ford f100, but still it was the wrong part. I purchased another one from a different vendor and it went on like a charm. You might have run into the same problem as i did concerning the seal.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Had some rain slow me down on the truck this last week. But I'm back at it now. I've installed glass, regulators and latches in both doors. Going to tackle mirrors today so I can button up the doors finally.

I had to ditch the 16.5" slotted mag rims because rubber is not available. Discount Tire said they have not been able to get the BFG's for months. So I traded my Uncle for these Alcoa knockoffs in 16". Not the look I wanted, but at least it has new shoes! I put 285/75R16 BFG A/T's on it.

One evening of rain I sat down to watch TV and brought in the cryptex that is the speedo/odometer. After some fiddling I managed to reset it at 99999.7 so that in about 1/4 mile into it's new life it will turn 00000. I also cleaned and buffed the gauge lens, then sprayed Rustoleum truck bed coating on the bezel. I think it looks tough.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

jimmy828 wrote:Nice job on regulator :thup: . Speaking of the window seal, i had the same trouble with my seal. that thing would just not go on the window. After spending too much time trying to install seal on window i did a little homework and found out the vendor had sent me the wrong seal. The bag it was in said it was for 67-72 ford f100, but still it was the wrong part. I purchased another one from a different vendor and it went on like a charm. You might have run into the same problem as i did concerning the seal.
Thanks for the info. I have called an installer. I have 2 other vehicles that need windshields as well, so I am having them all done here at the house at the same time on a package deal. :thup:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Nearing start up

Post by Heirloom »

It's been a little while since I updated. Today I will be finishing the electrical and testing it. I have new drive shafts being made (to the tune of $1000 :cry: ). I'm upgrading to Spicer 1350 series U-joints, so I had to have all new shafts built as well as change the rear end yoke. No more Pinto U-joints for me. I have one last parts store order that has the belts, hoses and misc stuff to go get. Hopefully by Christmas this thing will start up!

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
1968-f250

Post by 1968-f250 »

I am so jealous of your truck :drool:

Looking good :thup:
-Ray
1964 F100 Short box
1968 F250
1972 F100 4x4
1957 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible (x2)
1979 Ford Bronco (x2)
1956 Ford Thunderbird
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools -Red Green
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

1968-f250 wrote:I am so jealous of your truck :drool:

Looking good :thup:
Thank you!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

So the electrical test has gone pretty well so far. The passenger rear side marker light didn't come on. Has to be either the bulb or I simply didn't plug it in (it's a single plug all by it's self). I have right turn signals, but not left. Most likely because I made one small screw up on the front left park/turn signal light. I crossed the park and turn signal wires. That tied the left turn to the park system. I have to re do two solder connections to fix it. The original wire colors were obscured on that side by black paint from a previous owner. In the morning I will test for coil power when the key is on. I tested the starter solenoid, so I know when I turn the key it will start. Head lights work, hi/low beam switch and dash indicator all work. Hazard flashers, dome light, cargo light, dash lights all work (and are pretty bright). Have not tested brake lights yet. Brake light switch comes in tomorrow.

Got a delivery from Summit today. Valve cover breathers, new starter cable and a Grant Challenger steering wheel. :thup:

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Electrical system is done. Everything works as it should. Fuel registers on the gauge, and I even have a horn! :woohoo:

After sorting out the last little bit of electrical this morning, I decided it was time to tighten the suspension and grease all the points. After that I moved on to all the 'little' stuff. Heater hoses, vacuum lines, valve cover breathers etc. I will clean and paint the PS pump tomorrow, and the fan is already in primer. When those are dry they will go in, along with the radiator. That about does it for the motor. I might bleed the brakes tomorrow, also. Then Sunday starts a 4 day dry/warm stretch that will allow me to finish up paint. I still have the tailgate, cargo door and latch, front bumper, headlight surrounds and grille. Wednesday afternoon I will be shooting the last paint, blue on the tailgate.

Sorry for the dark pics. I took them kinda late.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Looking for a serviceable rear bumper. Can be step/dock or factory style. Also need brackets. Needs to be local. I'm in San Diego, CA. Talk to me peeps....
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
gasnoil

Post by gasnoil »

Nice thread and nice truck! I have a 351m in my 69.