Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Clean, Paint, Assemble, Repeat.

Post by sargentrs »

Great job, Josh!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:Great job, Josh!
Thanks Randy!
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Today I finished edge sealing the insulation. I need more hi-temp spray glue for the doors, so those aren't done yet. The stuff I bought is freaking awesome, so far. Tacks instantly so you don't wait 4-5 minutes before it will stay in place. The real test will be in the summer heat. Here's a link...

http://www.joann.com/headliner-spray-gl ... ue&start=8

The final square footage of insulation mat used (off the roll) was 70, I have 26sqft left on the roll. I have about 1sqft of additional scraps. So for any one wondering how much it takes, there ya go. I covered from upper firewall to the upper tank mount rib, roof and 30"x24" panels in the doors. 80sqft of the insulation Randy (sargentrs) bought will certainly cover you if you know how to maximize usage. Get 3 cans of spray adhesive, at least one of them a hi-temp variety meant for headliners and such. Oh, and if I did it again I would use all foil backed Peel & Seal or Seal-Tite. The Seal-Tite comes in 3 sizes, only two are foil backed...the 9"x33' and the 4"x33'. The 4" is a great size for the smaller areas.

As for noise dampening, it works very well. But only a drive will really tell. The gas tank and back wall are the most dramatic reductions, then the roof and under seat floor area, followed by the foot wells. I can tap on the floor a certain way and get a resonance going. We'll see how muffler drone does when this thing is gets going.

I also sprayed the fenders and upper & lower valance/filler panels in epoxy primer today. After that I did the insulation sealing, then began fitting the floor mat. I have the sill plates in and the rear cab mounts in, as well as the gas tank in by a few threads for now. I then brought in the seats and the center console to test fit.....and to sit and go Vroom, Vroom :drive: After a minute of day dreaming I began fitting the shifter :hd: I know where in needs to go and have a rough idea how I am going to accomplish it. So far I have a mount plate cut and drilled to accept the shifter, and have fit/adjusted the neutral safety and back up switches to the shifter. After dinner I marked and taped off the plastic cover that comes with the B&M shifter and will cut it to proper height in the morning.

No pictures for now, but I am taking them as I go :thup:
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Today I got a shifter mount bracket fabricated and got the shifter located on the floor and in the console...

Here's a pic of the seats in and the front half of the console in...

Next series is the B&M shifter cover getting trimmed down as low as possible...

A quick test and pic....

Here I am setting the depth of the shifter/bracket assembly and marking the hole locations on the sidewall of the console. What I didn't get a picture of is the 5/16 blind Tee-nuts I used to bolt the console and shifter bracket together. Those two long bolts going through the angle iron and rectangle tube (second picture below) mate to two blind tee nuts pressed in the wood on the out side....

Another test fit and photo op...

Now to built the stanchion/foot to anchor the shifter assembly to the floor....

It's just a hidden bracket, but it deserves some paint too! There was some funny bleed through you can see.... :hmm: :dk: No biggie.

All mounted and trial fit! :woohoo: It's so solid I can rock the whole truck side to side by yanking on it. You can see one of the blind nuts on the side of the console. The white trim plate is actually chrome, I just have not peeled the protective sheet off yet.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Oh, and I got this today.....

:D 8) :woohoo:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Trokita101

Post by Trokita101 »

Wow!!!! your project is almost coming to life!!! quick question any pointer on installing the sound dampening on the specially on the roof. I will be installing one of those on my bump soon. keep up the great work
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Trokita101 wrote:Wow!!!! your project is almost coming to life!!! quick question any pointer on installing the sound dampening on the specially on the roof. I will be installing one of those on my bump soon. keep up the great work
Yeah, use a good hi-temp glue on the roof and in the doors if you do them, use it even with the sticky backed peel and seal on the roof and doors. Make sure your glue is tacked up before trying to apply the insulation mat, otherwise you will fight the mat to stay up while it tacks/dries. I think most hi-temp headliner spray glues are nearly instant tack. I started with a 4" strip of glue on one side (along the roof center rib) and got the mat in place, then sprayed about half and worked it up, and then again to finish above the door. Mask any painted areas where you might over spray or accidentally touch paint with a sticky mat. Some sturdy rollers of different sizes and shapes, like a massage roller, might come in handy to ease strain on your hands while working the Peel & Seal into and around compound corners. Also, it helps if you have basic knowledge of pattern making....making pleats and darts in the right places is critical to getting the mat to fit all those bumps and corners. I covered the firewall, floor and back wall with only 9 cut pieces, 5 big sheets for the floor and back wall, 3 smaller sheets across the upper firewall and 1 small triangular fill piece near where the gas pedal mounts

For other tools you'll want cheap scissors to cut the Peel & Seal because that stuff will gum up your scissors. I used the freebee Harbor Freight scissors. Also, to cut the mat get some good, sharp utility scissors (NOT the HF ones, go to a sewing store!). I found it best to use my utility knife to mark/cut the aluminum barrier on the mat, then finish cutting the fiber part of the mat with the good utility scissors.

Good luck with your install! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by Heirloom on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Oooookayyyy. Double post for some reason. :doh:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great work there, Josh! Coming together nicely. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Sorry everybody, I've been WAY too busy to remember to post here. I am moving to TN the beginning of January (deal closing this week) and I've had to really kick this thing in the butt. I the interest of time I dumped (for now) the excessive time wasters that are spraying body filler, block sanding and then mocking everything up, tape a straight line, disassemble, spray....yadda yadda. I am doing blue and white with transition below the bump. Tried to do a fade, but failed because of the bump and zero experience. Don't care if it looks crappy, I can always fix it later, but this thing needs to be done last month. I'm learning and pressed for time...and will have a booth inside a shop building next time around :D :wink:

For the wiring I still have engine, exterior lights, gauge cluster, hazards and turn signal switch. The ignition, light switch, wipers, cigar lighter, cargo light and dome light are done (with exception to door switches). I sprayed white on the cab this afternoon so tomorrow I will spray the first coats of blue, finishing on Friday morning. Saturday I plan on sitting the bed on the frame.

Random pics....

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Gobble Gobble. Happy Turkey Day all :)
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Happy Thanksgiving Josh!
Randy
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I've been very busy. No time to talk about it, but here's some pics...

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Happy birthday to you, Josh!
:D :D :D
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Suhweeet! Congrats!
Randy