Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Clean, Paint, Assemble, Repeat.

Post by Heirloom »

Hope to be able to snap more pictures by mid week. Nothing photo worthy happening at the moment. I'm doing body work on the doors while my not so lovely assistant (my Uncle) degreases/washes then wire wheels my radiator support, inner and out fenders, valance/filler panels and such.

Yesterday I ordered radiant barrier insulation and a couple types of glue. I am using "Ultratouch Radiant Barrier". Available from Summit for way too much money, I discovered you can order it from Home Depot for WAY less (note - order it online. Not available in store). Same stuff but Summit jacks the price for us in the auto world. :x It is a recycled cotton pad (similar to a jute pad but a little thinner) with an aluminum foil side for radiant protection. Less than a buck per square foot. Take that Dynamat (4-5 bucks per sqft). I'm getting either "Peel & Seal" Aluminum flashing or "Tite-Seal" flashing for sound deadener. Will have to go to Lowes for a sniff test to see if the Tite-Seal stinks like asphalt. If it does I will use the Peel & Seal.

The process will be:

Peel & Seal for sound muffling
Ultratouch mat glued to the Peel & Seal
Aluminum tape to seal the seams and edges

It should come in around $180 to cover the entire firewall, the back wall behind the gas tank, inside the rear cab corner cubbies, inside the doors and on the ceiling. About 85sqft fully sound and heat insulated for around $175. Just over $2 per sqft. :thup: Thanks Randy (Sargentrs)!

I also ordered some odds and ends. A dash voltage regulator, door detent springs and turn signal switch from Dennis Carpenter. Another gallon of Eastwood Rust encapsulator and two spray cans of their heavy duty anti-rust. Finally remembered to order the tanged lock washers for the Dana 60 axle nuts, as well as leaf spring u-bolts that are the right length. Oh, and caliper guide pin bolts. Thought I had them all, but only found one new one.

Moving right along....
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Loikinng forward to seeing that sound deadener/insulation install, Josh! Be sure and post up some photos for us. Great work!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Today I sprayed rust encapsulator as well as epoxy primer on the doors, radiator support and inner fenders. I also got the underside (wheel side) of the inner fenders under coated. Then I started putting sound dampener material on the roof. Tomorrow I will put the rest of the sound dampener in on the floors and firewall and maybe get to prepping the front fenders and valance panels for rust encap. and primer.

~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:Loikinng forward to seeing that sound deadener/insulation install, Josh! Be sure and post up some photos for us. Great work!
Sure thing :D

The Tite-seal product appears to be the same thing as the Peel & Seal. It also smells the same (both scent and strength). So I went with it because for $3 more per roll it's twice the square footage.

Later today I will post close ups of the radiant barrier mat so you can see it better than the normal stock photo's found online.

Also, today another Eastwood delivery comes. I got another gallon of Rust Encapsulator as well as a couple cans of Heavy Duty Anti Rust for inside the doors and a couple other spots. They say it's the best for areas that can receive little or no prep.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Made some progress today. I got the trans tunnel cover all sealed up and installed, as well as finalized and sealed up the clutch rod hole cover. Then I installed a bunch of Seal-Tite on the floor. I discovered that the two Seal-Tites on the shelf are different. The 9"x33' package has foil backing, but he 9"x50' roll does not :? I bought one each thinking both had foil. What ever, I'm using it. The foiled stuff will go on the firewall and forward floor/foot area. I need to get another roll of the foil backed stuff tho.

Eastwood stuff came today so I sprayed the inside of the doors with the heavy duty anti rust.

I also got the booth set up with a group of parts for black paint that I'll shoot tomorrow morning. That consists of both inner door cover panels, the lower hood latch/catch, the support bar under the latch, battery tray, both wing window frames, both inner fenders and the radiator support. I trial fit and drilled out the rivet holes for the wing window seals. I made darn sure they fit and could be easily riveted in without having to do any further mods after paint.

Tomorrow evening I should have the radiator support and inner fenders mock installed, as well as have the doors mock hung. :thup:

For the sealing of the cover plate on the tunnel cover I used Eastwoods brush on seam sealer.

I used Eastwoods flexible seam caulk to seal the tunnel cover to the floor

My Uncles hands helping in this pic. He's filing the holes square for the carriage bolts I used to secure the clutch rod hole cover.

Seal-Tite. This roll is the one with out foil backing.

Here is the Ultramat. I think they said it's made from recycled denim and treated with anti fungals and fire retardant. I think it will do well as a 'system'' with the Seal-Tite and foil tape. I'm waiting on the foil tape as well as glue to arrive. UPS says Monday. I will be done with Seal-Tite by then and will be able to finish the insulation install and get the rubber mat in permanently :D

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Shot some black parts today....

Spent a good hour masking the wing windows this morning. I decided to seam seal the glass/rubber/channel with semi set sealer. Then peeled the masking off the channel and primed then painted.

And some black parts, still very wet in these pics.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great job, Josh! Looking good :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:Great job, Josh! Looking good :thup:
Thank you Randy!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Second half of today I got the rest of the Seal-Tite installed and mock hung the doors. It does help with the resonance, not a whole bunch. But in paired with the Ultramat it will be a huge difference. Tomorrow I have to clean the mess of front end hardware before I can start assembling the front clip.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Holy wow! It looking more and more like a real truck. Looks like you did a fab job on the foil-backed stuff. Thumbs up!
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I started this morning with putting the wing windows back together. New LMC seals riveted in, frames cleaned and painted, glass seals rejuvenated with semi set seam sealer. They don't look that great in the pics (marginal camera), but I'm pretty happy with them. Only thing is they don't like to close all the way and seal easily. I've identified a sealing lip that is a little to big. I should be able to do careful surgery and remove a little to allow the window to swing all the way.

Then I started putting the front end together. I put in new fender seals and discovered that the seal LMC sells for the passenger side inner fender (the one that is stapled to the inner fender) does not even come close to what reality is. They send two driver side seals in the 'kit'. I'll contact them tomorrow. Need to touch up some under coating :)

After that was loosely together I began cutting Ultramat and glued in the ceiling panels and the passenger side foot area. I also cut a piece to go between the back wall and gas tank. Man, that one REALLY takes a lot of drum sound out. Tomorrow I will glue in the rest of the Ultramat and get the rubber floor mat cut to size. Maybe also prep both fenders for rust encap. and epoxy primer :thup:

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
67nukeford
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 67nukeford »

Looks awesome, Josh! I think I'm going to follow your plan with the insulation/sound deadener!!
Pat 1967 F100 4WD
LINK TO PROJECT THREAD
:http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by duaneo »

I'm really curious how the insulation/padding affects the noise level in the cab, and how much heat you have coming from the engine compartment. Please be sure to mention it when you get to the point where you can make a comparison.

Cheers
Duane
1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks guys! I will let you know how it compares to dilapidated stock insulation :lol: that's the only thing I can compare to!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I got my cab back from NASA today. I opted for the 'Voyager' package, guaranteed to be good out to the Oort cloud. :lol:

The last piece....

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln