setting timing

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

garycroix

Re: setting timing

Post by garycroix »

Now the mixure suggestion makes sense, that actually crossed my mind today. Is there anything to setting the mixture besides the screws on the bottom of the carb, and what is that procedure? I've heard screw them all the in, then back them out 1.5 turns, but that's all I know. Thanks!
Go Navy!
1985-2005
garycroix

Post by garycroix »

Found this from one of Dragon's posts:

Set both idle screws at 1-1/2 turns then turn one in until the engine gets sick. Turn it back out until the engine gains the most speed. Now do the same to the other side. Adjust the idle speed to where it belongs.
Go Navy!
1985-2005
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Okay not all dizzys are set that way the later they are the less likely they are. My 71 books only show one setting for the dizzys.

The vacuum leak is not that big it is a lot smaller than the hose so it would very slightly lean out the carb on one side.

Still Thinking. :hmm:

Just had a brain aneurism or is that a fart. :yip:

The vacuum advance has a advance stop in the dizzy if it is missing the advance will go too far. It is a little bump that catches the supporting plate. It sticks off the bottom of the points plate and rides in a slot on the support plate under it. Also is the pivot shot, it has a snap ring that holds the point plate so that it rotates. If the vacuum advance moves the point plate back and forth instead of in a circle it would really change the points gap making the truck real sick.
Dizzy explosion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dragon on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

garycroix wrote:Found this from one of Dragon's posts:

Set both idle screws at 1-1/2 turns then turn one in until the engine gets sick. Turn it back out until the engine gains the most speed. Now do the same to the other side. Adjust the idle speed to where it belongs.
that sounds right.
Dragon wrote:Okay not all dizzys are set that way the later they are the less likely they are. My 71 books only show one setting for the dizzys.

The vacuum leak is not that big it is a lot smaller than the hose so it would very slightly lean out the carb on one side.

Still Thinking.
yeah a small leak like that possibly isnt too much right now. but it woudl help maybe narrow down things. atleast that is how i would start approaching this. fix what you kno wyou can fix and then look to the next problem.