Is the Proformanceunlimited 400HP 390 Turn-Key a fair deal?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Is the Proformanceunlimited 400HP 390 Turn-Key a fai

Post by averagef250 »

robroy wrote: Several folks pointed out that 400-425HP isn't a huge amount of power to get out of a 390, and I suppose this is probably true. As I heard it from Steve at Proformanceunlimited, the engine is relatively smooth, requires almost no tuning once dialed in, and is should be very long lasting.
-Robroy
425 real HP is quite a bit of power. Most that claim to have 400HP would in reality have a pretty hard time keeping a car or pickup with that power on the road. 425 HP will push a 4000 pound truck into the low 13's in the quarter mile.

I would hope "turnkey" means what it should for you as a true "turnkey" engine should require very minimal tuning. When the shop I use dyno tunes an engine they include finish tuning in the car.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Is the Proformanceunlimited 400HP 390 Turn-Key a fair de

Post by robroy »

Hey Dustin, thanks for the reply. It's good to see a clarification on how much power 400-425HP really is. The vehicle with the most powerful engine I've ever driven is my father Hugh's 1976 454 Suburban, and that's a 340HP motor, but in a 6600 pound vehicle. I'm hoping that 400HP in a 4400 pound vehicle will feel very different from 340HP in the 6600lb'er.

About the "Turn Key" concept, I heard from Steve that the default Edlebrok intake on their engine is pretty much dialed in by them at the factory and needn't be adjusted, even over time. I shouldn't need to fiddle with it.

Thanks!
-Robroy
cathynkeith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cathynkeith »

My engine has required almost no tuning, ran great and turn key means turn key, I bought the March pullley system with chrome alternator and polished compressor the belt was installed and I have only tightented it once once it streached a bit.
Doug lets you know the timing and carb setting he used and they have been great for me even though he was in 40 deg. New Jersey weather and I was was 90 deg. Texas. There is no doubt that I could use a little fine tuning for more power but I do not know what I would do with more power, I have a 250 shot of NOS that I have not installed because its stupid to drive already.
I did a stupid thing, at 500 miles I pulled the 6k rpm rev limiter out of the MSD and since I did not have a 7k with me I thought I could shift fast enough. LOL Wrong I over reved over 9k broke a 7/16 rocker stud and bent a pushrod. Doug said that surprised him that it would break, however who knows how high it actually reved. He sent me the parts to fix and now with the 7k limiter I "bounce" off the chip everytime I drive it and had no further issues. Redline is 7500.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292 ... type=local
Life is good...... when nothing is wrong that money can't fix.
1969 f100 flareside
1962 ECONOLINE TRUCK (done)
1975 Nova (almost done)
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

With a 400+ hp motor in that truck I highly doubt you will be unable to keep your foot off the gas. Gas mileage will be the last thing on your mind once you get that engine in your truck, for awhile anyways!!! :drive: I know I wont care then again it wont be a daily driver either. Either way have fun with it and good luck with whatever you choose.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi folks, thanks again for the great input!

CathynKeith, those details about your experience with Proformanceunlimited are really interesting and helped me make my choice.

390F100, you're probably right that I won't be thinking about the gas mileage! I'm building it mainly to have fun on the weekends so it probably won't be an issue.

And the conclusion is: I ordered the 400HP 390 from Proformanceunlimited! The only parts I changed were:

1. Black "Cobra" valve covers instead of the default chrome.
2. K&N "Open Top" Air cleaner
3. An Edelbrock high flow aluminum water pump

I still need to call Steve back with the gearing information from the truck so he can choose the best camshaft, but they're starting on the engine right away. The build should be complete in six weeks or less.

Steve was super helpful, and I think the price is totally fair considering everything that goes in to this turn key engine.

The those who are curious, the total was $8,955. It seems like a lot until we remember how much people normally spend on boring new cars!

Thanks again to everybody for their great advice! I'll post photos of the installation and final result when the engine arrives.

-Robroy
cathynkeith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cathynkeith »

Congrats, you will love it, tell Steve and Doug I said Hi.
1969 f100 flareside
1975 Nova (almost done)
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey thanks! I'll tell 'em hi for you next time I'm on the phone!

-Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

robroy wrote:I still need to call Steve back with the gearing information from the truck so he can choose the best camshaft, but they're starting on the engine right away. The build should be complete in six weeks or less.
***coughCROWERROLLERcough*** :wink:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

DuckRyder wrote:***coughCROWERROLLERcough*** :wink:
Good morning Robert!

So is CrowerRoller a brand of camshaft? An excellent choice?

Thanks!
-Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Man, I just lost a long post...

Stand by...
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Crower Roller is a brand (Crower) and Type (Roller).

It was mostly a joke since I am sure they would charge you extra for the roller, but Crower makes one cam they call the “street rollerâ€
Robert

cathynkeith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cathynkeith »

Doug is picky on his cam selection. Its kind his secret to makeing the "right" power not just lots of power. Mine has a power band that hits like a rocket about 2800 and does not stop, I shift a 6800 and redline is 7500.
1969 f100 flareside
1975 Nova (almost done)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

cathynkeith wrote:Doug is picky on his cam selection. It is kind his secret to makeing the "right" power not just lots of power.
That is good, it is the "brains of the engine" several of the builders have their own custom grinds and I'm sure he will pick a good one if given the the full specs.
Robert

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

here is a site that just builds FE's. they are in the same town as me even. and have pics of a nice bump :D what a coincidence
http://www.fespecialties.com/index.html

edit: ooops to late
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Folks!

Robert and CathynKeith, thanks for the info on camshafts! Since I'm far from being an expert on this I'll definitely leave it up to Steve to pick one out--but now I know that it's super important that I explain my gearing setup and desired characteristics to him so he doesn't have to guess.

Ryan, thanks for the link to the California FE place! I didn't think there was one so close to home. It looks like a great place, but I'm still happy with my decision. :)

Thanks for all the great advice,
-Robroy