Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Slow winter stuff....

Post by Heirloom »

Mancar1 wrote:Merry Christmas to you. Just read this thread. Great job, especially on taking on projects that r new to you. Look forward to reading more...love Red, White, and Blue... :thup:
John CPO USN Ret. (68 C.S. 390 mild mods.)
Thank you...and thank you for your service, Sir!

:doh: <-- civilian salute :lol:
Last edited by Heirloom on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

No idea why it double posted my last post....but it did.
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

It was a slow day in terms of work getting done on the truck. But I did get the back brace pulled back and the repair section cut out. I still need to trim the patch to fit. Maybe tomorrow I will have it welded in. 8) Gotta love being able to do bodywork outside the week of Christmas!!

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Little by little....

The first two pics are after the initial tach welding and a quick knock down of the hi spots.

These next pics are after the second pass. Half way through I changed my tungsten to 1/16 and have my max amps set at 30. With this I am really able to control the heat a lot better than with the 3/32. Still learning, but I get better with every patch.

Wish I had some good sheet metal tools. An english wheel would have been awesome. I real anvil would have been great too. I have a modified section of train rail.

Last edited by Heirloom on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Good work, Josh! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Looks good.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks guys! :)

It's not as smooth right now as it could have been....again, an english wheel and planishing hammer would have been a blessing. Plus it's not a PERFECT match. Hard to show in pictures. Maybe I'm just being too critical for my first real formed piece. :hmm:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

....by little.....

I started the days work with planishing by hand. Then a quick 80g sand to show the highs and lows, then more hammer/dolly work. These pics are from the second 80g quick sand....

Eventually I ended up feeling like fill was the next step, so I skim coated, sanded and skimmed again. Next time I do this I am going to step up to metal filling, leading if you will. These next pics are after the second coat of filler and hit with primer. The patchy areas look deceptive. There is no perceivable difference in the feel of the panel, but the primer shows the filler. Maybe absorption difference? The filler is really very thin.

Well, anyhow....I have a few areas that DO need to be addressed, and priming them showed me what needed to be done.

I really need a good flexible foam block sander. And a planishing hammer, and a bead roller, and more skill, and an english wheel, and.....

Oh, sorry. :oops: back to work....

Tink, tink, clank, bing, tink, tink, tink.....

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Tink, clank, tink, tink, tink....

Post by Alstoyz »

Nice work Josh!!! :thup:
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually
mcheath

Post by mcheath »

It looks great, I'm impressed.

Used to be a Hmong fellow in Fresno who could make any sheet metal part you wanted from flat sheet. He used hand tools and heat and when he was done he'd make you a fender or hood or grill, there was a writeup in the paper on him and I knew a guy who had work done by him. He had a radiator shell made for his old Ford 9N tractor that was simply incredible, looked like a pressed piece.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great work! I respect and admire your skills :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thank you all! It means a lot, especially since I look at your guys' work and trucks in the same way! :)
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

mcheath wrote: He had a radiator shell made for his old Ford 9N tractor that was .....
I want a 9N. Bad. No...I need one. Not to look at though, I need a tractor for my farm! Along with ....crap. I bumped my coffee cup and have to disassemble the keyboard now. :x
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I think I got the fender to a state where I can move on. Here's all that I did. Cut out and replace the rusted area, refill all the trim and emblem holes, fix a slight depression centered above the wheel opening just above the bump line as well as a small dent in the front outer leading edge just below the bullet point. Clean and apply rust preventer and encapsulator to the rear fender structure and back side of fender skin. Applied an under coating to the entire inner fender area. Primed and blocked to 220 grit. Later I will sand this primer off and shoot epoxy primer/sealer and wet sand to 400 right before paint.

Fedex dropped off push rods today. Dizzy should be here Thursday. When it comes I will finally button up the motor.

What now. The other fender? The drivers door? :hmm: So much to choose from.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Alstoyz
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Alstoyz »

Nice work there Josh... :thup: Can I send you my fenders and doors for you to work your magic on?!?! :lol:

:fr:
1970 F-100 SWB Tubbed
1971 F-350 4X4 (traded for 71 crewcab)
1971 F-250 Crew-Cab Dually
1972 F-100 SWB 4X4
1972 F-350 Crew-Cab 4X4 Dually
2001 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Bed 4X4 Dually