Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Slow winter stuff....

Post by Heirloom »

Today I finally, FINALLY put mirrors on the doors. Before I had this round little worthless piece of crud. Now I'm sporting these. :thup:

I also FINALLY sprayed the roof seams from the inside with Eastwood and the spray whip. I have to say I love that whip and will keep it healthy as long as possible. Being able to direct the spray in areas a can or gun could never get is simply awesome. I sprayed all the way around the roof and down the pillars a little. When I take the truck apart I will be able to access things better and get lots more coverage. It lays down in a nice cone pattern. Be careful though, it can lay down the thin rust encapsulator pretty quick, so move fast. I would say 3 spray cans will cover a resto's hard to reach areas and give you left over for spray bombing other areas. If you are going to do the whole car/truck inside and out you'll want to buy the Eastwood products in quart or gallon form as well as a spray can or two plus the whip.

The one negative I can come up with is I would like to see them make another spray nozzle that sprays in a wider cone. Maybe less of a cone and more like 360* ring with the spray jets maybe at 75* perpendicular to the inlet axis, rather than the 30-45 it is now. I think better coverage would be attained in a single pass while spraying inside an enclosed area. However, I do like the pattern as is, as it is usable and will get the job done.

Another tip. If you get one, unpack it and stretch it out in the sun for while to straighten it and make manipulation easier.

Anyways....spray whip = the bomb.

And while I was taking pictures I remembered to get the PS. Not that it's pretty, but for visuals sake. :) My PS cooler is the tranny cooler from a Dodge Daytona :D

I was short sighted enough not to get rocker shims :doh: , so I have to wait until Monday when they arrive, then I can get back to work on the engine.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
fordguy_78

Post by fordguy_78 »

What are the miors off of I need to find a set for mine and you might want to do more than a 150 fuse.

Phill
78 Mustang
67 F250ish
2010 F250 Harley Davidson
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

fordguy_78 wrote:What are the miors off of I need to find a set for mine and you might want to do more than a 150 fuse.

You're absolutely right. I did mean a 175amp fuse. I was tired and typed wrong. I'll go back and fix it.

The mirrors are off a 74 cab I have. I really couldn't say where they came from originally. I know they have been on that cab for at least 25 years and through 3 different owners.
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

My shims arrived today (thanks Jegs/Ebay) so I can go ahead and set up the top end and buy pushrods. Preliminary results indicate stock length pushrods are useable unless I setup mid-lift style. :D

No pics yet, but today I sanded my 'bad' drivers side fender down to bare metal and began fixing it. It only had a couple dings, but cancer has been doing some work for some time down behind the wheel. Not sure if I'm going to hand form a patch or buy a prefabbed patch. Heck, with the cost of a prefabbed patch it makes buying repop fenders almost worth it.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

The mirrors you have are correct for a 73-79 truck. I also have a set of those that are going on my 69 F250CS, Frodo. I see yours have the spring on them, as do mine. The spring is in the little round cylinder on the the top mirror mount.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

:yt: Yeah... 73-79 Dentside mirrors. You can find them at most junkyards or you can still buy them new from many places online. I will also be putting those on my crewcab when I get it put back together.
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Calfdemon wrote::yt: Yeah... 73-79 Dentside mirrors. You can find them at most junkyards or you can still buy them new from many places online.
I have yet to see a single decent mirror, much less a pair, in the yards around here :pout: The ones on my Uncles 79 are similar, but definitely different. Square mirror and aluminum bracket, but totally different bends in the brackets and slight differences in the mirror housings.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I began hand forming a rust repair patch for the drivers fender. Once I cut the back brace out and remove the rusted section I will trace and trim the patch to fit then TIG it in, coat the whole back side in rust preventive and rubberized under coating. Then TIG in the cleaned up and coated back brace and finally treat/coat the brace spot welds.

Last edited by Heirloom on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Very nice work but, living in California, why didn't you just replace the fender? Lots of rust-free stuff out there.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

1) The experience. I would like to hand form anything I need. Shot bags and hammers :D

2) Not as many as you might hope

3) If they are rust free, they are beat up

4) I have no budget for replacing whole fenders. The material I already had.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

:D Makes sense. Nice work.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thank you, BobbyFord :D

Another small update. I just purchased a dizzy for the 400 from Skip White Performance. $50 shipped for a lifetime warranty HEI unit. Here's a link....

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/det ... =6506-BLUE

I searched around and it seems these are a good product at a great price. People have side by side compared the bodies, shafts, plates, caps etc with OEM and MSD. These tend to have tighter tolerances than OEM, and little or no difference compared to an MSD unit.

:hmm:

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

Heirloom wrote:Thank you, BobbyFord :D

Another small update. I just purchased a dizzy for the 400 from Skip White Performance. $50 shipped for a lifetime warranty HEI unit. Here's a link....

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/det ... =6506-BLUE

I searched around and it seems these are a good product at a great price. People have side by side compared the bodies, shafts, plates, caps etc with OEM and MSD. These tend to have tighter tolerances than OEM, and little or no difference compared to an MSD unit.

:hmm:

hey heirloom, i can vouch for these off brand dizzys. i used this very type on a stock 289. it made a world of difference. night and day really. i found that in my dizzy there were MSD part numbers. :thup: and in my none coil over billit style dizzy (off brand) i put on my truck. i found mallory part numbers.... explain that lol

which reminds me. the chevy style coil over dizzys (in my experience) tend to interfere with things. especially on an after market intake manifold. but im sure theres plenty of room on your engine. :wink:
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I can't see it interfering with anything unless I use a snorkel air cleaner and put it on wrong! You are right, the 400 seems to have ample parking space for a dizzy. Thank you for posting your experience with that line of off brand. It is reassuring to hear it from one of our own rather than just reading it on a bow tie forum. The saying 'you get what you pay for' seems to apply here in that if you pay $200+ for a name brand, you get to say you're running a name brand. It may or may not be better quality, but you've got that trusted name to hold on to (plus stickers!) :D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Yep, I said the C word. :lol:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Merry Christmas to you. Just read this thread. Great job, especially on taking on projects that r new to you. Look forward to reading more...love Red, White, and Blue... :thup:
John CPO USN Ret. (68 C.S. 390 mild mods.)
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8