Pulley update

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Pulley update

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

I removed the March 1593- 3 groove billit 5.5" Crank pulley and the March 1562- 2 groove billit 6.0" water pump pulley and replaced them with a original 73, 390 CS with a/c 3 groove crank pulley and water pump pulley. It was running warmer than I wanted it to sitting in Dallas rush hour traffic so with this pulley change it moves a lot more air.
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Pulley update

Post by customcrewcab »

the bigger pulley will move the water slower leting it sit in the radiator and cool longer. at least that what i thinking right now :hmm:
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10106
if theres a new way, i'll be the first in line. it better work this time

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Customcrewcab, The bigger crank pulley is speeding it up? The bigger w/p pulley is slowing it down? I need to get some sleep and think it out better. It is moving more air now. I have the Jegs high flow water pump. 30% more they say. I'll figure it out later. Both pullies are OEM that came on my 73 F250 c/s with a/c so I figure Ford designed them for maximum cooling. I have the seven blade c/s with a/c blade with a thermostatic clutch.
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by customcrewcab »

the bigger the pulley the slower it turns. like on a ten speed, when your crank is the biggest sprocket the slower you legs move. when it on the smallest you peddle like crazy. its tricky becuase you want to move alot of air but you want the water stay and have time to cool. the thermostat might staying open too much too not letting the water cool.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10106
if theres a new way, i'll be the first in line. it better work this time

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Thanks CCC, I'll just leave it up to Fords engineering. They have already figured it out so I wouldnt have to. Its hard to beat OEM parts
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

I think with the March pullies my high volume jegs water pump was moving the water way to fast in the radiator. Now with the oem pullies it sits in this Dallas rush hour traffic just fine.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Patrick, That was mytmatt