hood

Moderator: FORDification

edgar

hood

Post by edgar »

i got acouple of dent on my hood and i cant reach then bacause inside the hood are a shield or somethin and i cant reach the dent .what should i do. how can i take it off?
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

You could try to use dry ice and pop the dent.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yea you get the truck hot like let it set in the sun all day then put dry ice on the dent and it should pop out if its not to badly dented.
edgar

re: hood

Post by edgar »

ok thanks ill try it. the dents are about 2 ,3, inches wide in a circle shape.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

if they are small enough and not very deep, you could do bondo.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

As an option, you could always get a hole saw and cut a few access holes in the bracing on the underside of the hood. That would give you a little access to the bottom side of the dent to pop it out. The only time it would be seen would be when the hood's open, and depending on where it's at most people would probably never notice it.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

fordman wrote:yea you get the truck hot like let it set in the sun all day then put dry ice on the dent and it should pop out if its not to badly dented.
Will that realy work?
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

my brother in law told me about it. he used to do body work in his shop. and thats how they fix hail damage too. its all about expansion and contraction of the metal.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

knew a guy who would deflate a basketball or soccer ball asnd footballs. And even kickballs of different sizes and he would put them between the dented pannel and something for support.

Inflate it slowly with a hand pump and viola! No more dent.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Never thought of that.

Sounds like a test is in order.
qman

Post by qman »

I had a softball sized dent in the hood of my Taurus that was right behind the bracing. It looked like a basketball or something hit it. I coule stick something through a hole in the bracing and push it up but it would come right back down. The metal wasn't creased, just indented. A guy at the paint store told me that sometimes whatever caused the dent will slightly dent the bracing and it's the bracing holding the dent in place. So he told me to whack the bracing with a rubber mallet. The first whack took most of the dent out and after a few smaller well placed ones there is no more dent. A body shop guy told me it was a 4-5 hour job to pull it out. It was more of a 30 second 4-5 whack job.
72 F100 2wd 360 C6 Custom w/factory PS.
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

qman wrote:It was more of a 30 second 4-5 whack job.
you killed 4 or 5 people in 30 seconds or you know 4 or 5 people who are crazy for 30 seconds???

:D
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

Have you seen the adds for Pops-a-Dent (or whatever it is called but I think that is right) on TV, I always thought that it was BS but I had a gas tank on Honda M/C that had a pretty good dent in it and I was going to resale the bike. So I went to Autozone and bought one of those kits for $19.95 and got 99% of the dent out using it. There was one small dent left that was the smaller than a dime compared to 1 1/2x3 inch long dent that I started with. Worked great.
Fuzz
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

Yep to fuzzy...I've had good luck with the pop-a dent tool.A good $19.95 investment.The local auto parts places also sell a "suction cup" thingamagig for a couple of bucks that works great on bigger dents(say 3 inches+).Happy hunting.