Apron seals

Moderator: FORDification

Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Apron seals

Post by Sharkdance »

Greetings all.
Am hoping for some input regarding inner fender seals. You know those tar paper like flaps at the back of the inner fenders that seal them against the firewall and supposedly seal the hood hinges from the fenderwells and keep them from rusting out?
Welp, I removed all of them from my aprons while prepping them for paint and am considering installing them without the factory seals.
Would there be an issue with dirt/water/rust without them? Has anyone else re-installed inner fender aprons without stapling new seals to them?
I haven't tried it yet. Dont know if Ill go thru with it as Im sure there would be a noticable gap between the firewall and the aprons so Im probably gonna have to buy some replacements. My old ones were hard and brittle and destroyed.

Just wanted some feedback first.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Apron seals

Post by mrsnicks »

You mean your truck still had those on it? No clue when mine disappeared... had the truck for 6 years and they were gone when I had it.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Apron seals

Post by FORDification »

The main reason for those seals is to keep dirt/debris from dropping down inside the front fender brace, which is where front fenders typically rust out. I've coated the backside of both of my front fenders with POR-15, so I don't have to worry about those seals. But otherwise, you might want to reinstall them. They'll stop a majority of the mud and rain, and some is better than none, right?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i think it would look weird without them. regardless of whether they work or not.