Help removing tailgate latches

Moderator: FORDification

MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Help removing tailgate latches

Post by MAK »

I feel stupid asking this. I can usually get anything apart, getting it back together without parts left over is the tricky part. :D
I can't seem to get the tailgate latches (#3 in the diagram below) off the tailgate (67-72). I removed the two bolts on each side that attach the tailgate latch to the tailgate but can't get the latches off. They're loose but still attached to the release bars or something. I can feel the spring tension when I pull on them. I'm guessing I have to get the mounting plate and handle off but those screws are stuck tight and soaking in Kroil. I'm pressed for time so thought I would try to get a jump on it if anyone could help with where to start. Thanks
Mark

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/0023.html
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Help removing tailgate latches

Post by 68F250 »

Yes, you have to remove the latch handle first. This will release the links that go from the lever to the latch brackets so you can pull the latch brackets out.

Sorry about that.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Help removing tailgate latches

Post by MAK »

68F250 wrote:Yes, you have to remove the latch handle first. This will release the links that go from the lever to the latch brackets so you can pull the latch brackets out.

Sorry about that.
Thanks! Hopefully the bolts will loosen-up by tomorrow when I try it again.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

If they don't loosen, you could try an impact screwdriver, the kind you smack with a hammer. They turn the bolt just enough to break it free. I used one recently with happy results on the phillips head bolt attaching the bed to a truck with the under-bed auxilliary tank.
jor
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Those hand-impact drivers can be a life saver! I have to use one on my old Honda motorcycles to break the phillips screws loose that hold the case covers on.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."