larger distributor cap

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

larger distributor cap

Post by Zorm »

I looked in some past threads, although maybe not deep enough, but did not find the answer.

Is there a way to put a larger dizzy cap on our stock distributors? Since I also dabble in older full size jeeps (J-10/20 trucks, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, and full size Cherokees and Cherokee Chief's) I know that the AMC 360 (not to be confused with the Chrysler 360) stock distributor is a motorcraft one and we are able to take off the small stock cap and put on the larger spread out ford cap with a funnel looking piece between the two.

Example of the cap I'm talking about here https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum- ... AsQAvD_BwE

thanks for thoughts.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
M-100

Re: larger distributor cap

Post by M-100 »

If you have a small block then it will work. But you will need the lower plastic piece also they sale them at summit and any part store. The same one works on the 429 / 460. If you have an fe it might work also but I don't have any personal experience with that.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: larger distributor cap

Post by sargentrs »

Didn't have any problems with the Duraspark on my small block but I had an aftermarket air cleaner. The only issue I've ever had with other vehicles was interference with the stock air cleaner and the fuel line. Put a 1/2" spacer under the air cleaner and slightly re-bent the fuel line because it interfered with the vacuum canister on the dizzy while rotating it for timing. This was on the 289 in my former '64 Fairlane. I can see it affecting other models/engines.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.