Unnecessary Equipment

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

F100442

Unnecessary Equipment

Post by F100442 »

So I am a newby to the forum, but after searching quite a bit I did not come across a thread that addressed my questions. I have a 1971 F100 360 3 on the tree and I want to clean up in the engine bay as much as I can. 1. What vacuum devices can I get rid of, and 2. Can I delete the useless fuel fume catch can thing located in the front of the engine bay and connected to my fuel tank? Thanks everyone.
j41385
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Unnecessary Equipment

Post by j41385 »

Hi, Welcome to the site. With my truck I got rid of the fume thing in the front, and just left the line there that hooked to it so it vents to atmosphere. It is nice to have the vent instead of a sealed tank because you don't get the splash out when you fill up, the pump just kicks off. Of course I live in Oregon which is one of two states, the other being New Jersey where it is illegal to pump your own gas, so I have to teach the kids who work at the gas station to use the pen trick to keep it from clicking off too soon.
1968 F100 Took the running 390 out, and installed a Built 300 with AOD.
Engine Video... http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xgYd2u79NU

Image Image
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

="F100442" So I am a newby to the forum, but after searching quite a bit I did not come across a thread that addressed my questions. I have a 1971 F100 360 3 on the tree and I want to clean up in the engine bay as much as I can. 1. What vacuum devices can I get rid of, and 2. Can I delete the useless fuel fume catch can thing located in the front of the engine bay and connected to my fuel tank? Thanks everyone.
Wonder if you got one of the Cali trucks that had a few more emissions added to it? :hmm:
The emissions canister actually burns the vapors taken from the top of the tank, (venting it as described above)-rather than venting gas vapors to the atmosphere and under the engine bay. If it were mine I'd leave the canister as they do not ever require any maintenance yet provide a valuable function, (you'll get 100 different answers here on whether to trash it or to save it).
you shouldn't have many more vacuum lines you can actually remove, (especially being a 3 speed and not an automatic).
Here's the illistration on your canister and it's piping:

Does it still have the heat riser on the exhaust manifold, (requires a vacuum line to acuate) like this?

And your vacuum line routing if it is not a Cali truck:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
F100442

Post by F100442 »

Jeff
Thank you so much for the great info! Sorry for the delay in replying, I am in the middle of moving...it should be calming down now though. I do not still have the heat riser although kinda wishing I did after reading your post. I bought this truck to use but not abuse. If I can make it safe, roadworthy, and make it a little more easier on the eyes then I would consider myself successful. Restoration is not in the cross hairs yet, but making good solid repairs will go a long way. All that being said, I will probably keep the canister as i am more of a purist than not. I am not sure about the vacuum lines as i need to take more time to look the engine over. Thank you for posting the diagrams as i had none of them. By the way do you have a vacuum diagram for a V8? The one you posted was for a I6. Thank you again
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Oops my bad...
This should help.
And good luck with the move, (something i despise at my age LOL)! :eek:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4