Oil Bath Air Cleaner Disassembly

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

dstuart

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Disassembly

Post by dstuart »

I need help taking apart an oil bath air cleaner from a 1960's 352. I'm trying to remove the inner parts from the outer cover. Needs a good cleaning that soaking in solvent hasn't helped so far. I want to keep this set-up and NOT switch to a paper filter. The inner portion containing the mesh flexes when you push on it, but I can't tell where or how it attaches to the outer cover. If you have ever taken one of these apart before, please let me know how you did it! Thanks!!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Disassembly

Post by jzjames »

Probably not helpful, but I’ve heard of dropping oil-bath air cleaner into a tub of kerosene to rinse clean, and there was someone who disassembled one to fit a paper filter into it, for the original look. I think he just cut out the parts.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

The inner mesh doesn't come out readily, it's all a crimped together assembly.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

This is a great post, Thanks for bringing up the subject. :thup: Oil bath air cleaners are some of the oldest adaptations to all engines and almost older than Ford! We have run oil bath air cleaners here for years, farm tractors, flathead V8's, combines, even small Briggs engines. After I saw this post I went and checked one of my 1967 352 oil bath cleaners. You cannot over think them as they are only 2 parts, top and bottom. As mentioned before soak the top in kerosene or varsol and the bottom collects the dirt which can be scraped out and cleaned again with varsol. Fill the bottom pan to the fill line with the same oil you run in the engine, replace the top and place it on top of the carb. As I run 10/30 oil in most equipment the oil bath cleaners also get the same oil and winter or summer they work just great. Please don't destroy your oil bath by taking it apart, they clean up just fine and will run for years. Unless you are driving through a lot of dusty conditions, a properly cleaned oil bath should easily go 20,000 miles+ until the next inspection/cleaning. Also and this is very important, do not put mineral oil in the oil bath as it will lay down a smoke screen the Navy would blush about! :D In a diesel engine the mineral oil gets caught up in the intake and the engine will "run away" until it explodes with no way to turn it off unless you push a burlap bag down the intake. Have fun, Thanks again for the post and keep us informed. :fr:
dstuart

Post by dstuart »

Thanks for the great info, FastEdsel! I will take your advice and not try to remove the mesh from the top. Lots more soaking will be in order. But I still wish I knew how they made the top part with the mesh insert. I mean, I don’t see any spot welds or anything. It’s really very clever how they did it because I’ve taken apart a lot of stuff and this one stumps me! I will post photos after I get it cleaned up and looking like new...
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

As I said, it's all stamped and crimped together. Been there done that.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.