New Exhaust

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

390xlt

New Exhaust

Post by 390xlt »

So I think the time has finally come for a new exhaust system. As much as I'd like to get some headers, I really can't justify the expense since the intake side of things --and everything else, really -- is more or less stock, and I don't have any plans to change that in the near future.

Does anyone have any experience with Heartthrob exhaust? They're the only ones I can find that make a complete system that bolts up to the manifolds: http://heartthrobexhaust.com/manifolddualkits.htm. There are a number of header back kits available from various sources, but I'd have to find some way to connect them to the manifolds, and unless there's a piece of pipe designed just for that (especially for the left side), I can't really think of an elegant way to do it. I could also just buy a bunch of pipe, clamps, etc. and cobble something together, but that seems like a lot more work for not a whole lot of financial savings compared to the Heartthrob system. Also, my welding experience is pretty minimal and I would describe my skill as "kinda okay" at best, so I'd prefer something that I can bolt together. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Of course, my other option is to have a muffler shop bend something up for me. About how much would I be looking at in that scenario? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just regular pipe and a couple of glasspacks probably, but it seems like my other options (which I'm thinking would be in the $200-250 neighborhood) would be considerably cheaper.

I'm leaning toward the Heartthrob system since it seems like the best "bang for my buck" route. People seem to like their cat-back systems for modern vehicles fairly well, but I can't really find any information (beyond their marketing) about the quality and accuracy of fitment for complete systems on older trucks.

I appreciate input and insight for any of this
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New Exhaust

Post by basketcase0302 »

Am sure you would get 100 different opinions here but my personal experience is with leaning toward the custom exhaust from a local lifetime warranted shop.

I had it done to my 79' dent F-150, (and it was around $300). I'd suggest calling around Hotlanta" for quotes from old skool shops.
Then 10 years later I took the very same exhaust / pulled it off of my dent / and bolted it up to my 71' F-350 dually!
There just is no comparison to a professional that has a mandrel exhaust tubing bender at hand and a mig welder to secure all the connections, (versus bolted together) which I also have experience with leaking from vibration after normal use down the road. :(
The one "kit exhaust" I bought years ago, (from Summit-with china wrote all over the pipe CHEAP) also did not allow starter removal once it was bolted together on the truck. It's kind of hard to return exhaust piping once you've struggled to cram it under the truck and scratched it and dented it up. :eek:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If you find an exhaust shop in Atlanta with a mandrel bender I’d love to hear about it. Many years ago Grand Muffler on cobb drive had one, but I was very displeased with the work. I think they are long defunct.

I’ve heard about a guy out toward powder springs that is welding custom exhaust for stainless bends but haven’t been able to run much more down about it

I agree a quality custom made on out of aluminized or stainless pipe is the way to go, but finding quality is the thing.

For a little over 300 bucks I’d be tempted to give the heartthrob a try...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Where are you located? There's a shop where I live that does excellent work. Old guy, probably 70+ years old, by himself. been in business for decades. Well known in the community. Doesn't do any welding, only bolt/clamp, but knows his stuff. Has his tubing bender right next to his rack so he doesn't have to walk but a few feet from truck to bender. He'll put your truck on the rack and with eyeball and a tape measure, crank out your tubing in minutes. Have your tubing bent and take it home to be welded where you like. Hensley Muffler Service in Jasper, GA.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Post by 390xlt »

Thanks for all the input. I'm in Atlanta, so Jasper is a bit far, but I'll keep that shop in mind. I've called a couple of shops around town and nobody really wants to give me a quote without having the truck in front of them, but $400 seems to be the best ballpark figure I can get out of anyone. There's a place out in Lilburn where I've had some work done before that I was pretty happy with, but he's got pretty limited hours and the logistics of getting out there might make that more trouble than it's worth.
I'm still not sure which route I'll go. I've definitely got more time to think about it than to actually do anything about it, so I welcome any feedback.
Thanks again
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed