Fuel Pump Leaking on 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Fuel Pump Leaking on 390

Post by Nitekruizer »

I just removed my fuel pump from my 390. I noticed yesterday that I had a fuel leak coming from the pump area. Today I moved the power steering pump out of the way to get a better look. When I fired up the engine, fuel started squirting out of the top section of the pump toward the oil sender and the exhaust pipe. Lot's of potential fun there!

After removing the pump I found a small, 1/8 inch sized hole that the fuel is spraying out of. This hole appears to have been there all along. It is not damage. Is this some sort of relief valve?

My first thought was a pin for a pivot for the arm, but it seems to be in the wrong place for that, from what I can tell. I think I'm just going to replace the pump, rather than trying to repair it, although it looks like it can be taken apart. Which brings me to my next question. Do all of these FE fuel pumps with the canister filter use the same port for suction and the same port for the outlet or are some the other way around? This pump uses the lower port, which is threaded, for the outlet and the upper port for suction. The lower port has the steel line to the carb. The upper port has the rubber hose from the tank. Ideally, I need the new pump to be the same.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Fuel Pump Leaking on 390

Post by Busboy »

That hole is a weep hole by which when the diaphragm ruptures the fuel leaks out of the hole as opposed to filling the crankcase with fuel. Same type of hole in water pumps.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Thanks! :)

I'm looking at some pumps online now.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Ethanol fuel eats fuel pumps. I use all non ethanol in all my old Fords.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.